Join for free
Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2018, 05:58 AM

Re: Are DVDs on the way out?

Originally Posted by Realist ->

As much as the industry tries and tries, I personally will never fall for the "pay for an event and get nothing tangible" style of proposition. But each to their own as always.
Really? So you have never been to the cinema or the theatre then?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2018, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I think it is pretty clear that DVDs have reached their use by date, the Internet has ensured that. They will go the way of Datasets, Floppy disks, 78s etc.

Even mechanical hard disks are slowly being replaced with solid state devices.

My daughter asked be to send her some photos so I stuck them on a CD to post to her, she rang me and said she had nothing to play it on so I had to resend the photos on a Micro SD card.

I still have a couple of DVD players/burners including a USB one but I cannot remember the last time I used one to watch a movie.

Just the way of the world
That sounds weird doesn't it - CDs becoming old hat.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2018, 02:53 PM

I was just thinking the same. There are lots of things we pay for which are not tangible.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2018, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
That sounds weird doesn't it - CDs becoming old hat.
You're not wrong. I am still getting over the shock of walking into a record shop and finding all the vinyl had disappeared completely.

Now record shops are non existent and even department stores are phasing the few CDs they stock out.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

27-11-2018, 09:51 PM

You're not wrong. I am still getting over the shock of walking into a record shop and finding all the vinyl had disappeared completely.

Now record shops are non existent and even department stores are phasing the few CDs they stock out.
Not sure what it's like there but vinyl is making a bit of a come back here although I will be surprised if it really takes off again.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

27-11-2018, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Not sure what it's like there but vinyl is making a bit of a come back here although I will be surprised if it really takes off again.
Same here, likewise valve amplifiers but a tiny market.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2018, 12:04 AM

Wrong Brucey boy.

Take the time to read the posts in the thread imo. Post #19 makes my position clear.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

28-11-2018, 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Wrong Brucey boy.

Take the time to read the posts in the thread imo. Post #19 makes my position clear.
I doubt it, nothing you have ever written so far could be described as clear - long winded? Yes, pontificating? Yes, clear? No.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2018, 11:36 AM

John Lewis have been struggling a bit this year Longdogs and are looking at ways to slim down the business...(make it more lean and mean!) Sales on DVD players are probably low, so they are not earning the money for the space they occupy. they will use the space for more successful items.

Personally I don't listen to music all much because it's crap nowadays, and when I do listen to it, it will probably be something pre nineties or even classical. Mrs Fox and me have a rather large collection of CD's and DVD's, because like Realist, I like to own something and not be relient on the internet to supply my entertainment.

However, the young folk of today are growing up with the internet and the methods of streaming music and video so I fear that the future of hard coppies is doomed. But while ever there is a market for hard coppies someone will supply it, but if it does mean the demise of CD's and DVD's it won't be on my watch......
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

28-11-2018, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
John Lewis have been struggling a bit this year Longdogs and are looking at ways to slim down the business...(make it more lean and mean!) Sales on DVD players are probably low, so they are not earning the money for the space they occupy. they will use the space for more successful items.

Personally I don't listen to music all much because it's crap nowadays, and when I do listen to it, it will probably be something pre nineties or even classical. Mrs Fox and me have a rather large collection of CD's and DVD's, because like Realist, I like to own something and not be relient on the internet to supply my entertainment.

However, the young folk of today are growing up with the internet and the methods of streaming music and video so I fear that the future of hard coppies is doomed. But while ever there is a market for hard coppies someone will supply it, but if it does mean the demise of CD's and DVD's it won't be on my watch......
Me neither Foxy. I don't have a vast collection of CDs or DVDs but enough to be getting on with. I'm not sure what John Lewis are up to, they seem to be in self destruct mode to be honest. I give it three years before they close.

Personally I prefer hard copies when it comes to music and films that I like but there are a lot of films I have seen that I didn't like so streaming is a good way to decided whether you will buy the DVD or not.

Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top