Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2019, 10:32 AM

Re: Trees

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Wouldn't it nice if every single tree chopped down, destroyed, or diseased was replaced by a couple more.
I completely agree Mups although it appears that a lot of developers use it as an excuse these days. Locally they have built around 700 houses and a few miles away they have built 2000 new houses and another 6000 - 10,000 are planned. I cannot imagine how much wildlife will suffer because of the development - but so long as they plant a few trees, the council approves it.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2019, 10:47 AM

If you tear up trees you get a desert or replace it with crops which are harvested yearly, so you change the climate in that area.
If you plant a forest somewhere then you change the climate there, no wonder the climate is changing in lots of places.

If I make my garden more shady, it will be damper, the insects which like damp will move in, more fungi and other plants will move in and my little patch will not produce much evaporated moisture into the atmosphere, will it?

The chippings I have keep moisture in the ground and the heat gets reflected back up so scorching the underside of plants as well as the sun drying them out.

I think we all need to think about these things. I'm wondering now what is best, planting or not planting.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2019, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Glad someone gets it.
I've got two fruit trees in pots, I don't know if I should plant them out or pot them on.
If I disturb them either way they might die.

I agree every tree chopped down should be replaced but, it takes years to grow a tree from seed.
If you tried to replace the Rain Forest trees that have been destroyed it would take years, probably hundreds.
I think to avoid changing the climate you would need to plant trees exactly where they were.
Thats exactly right Tessa! UK used to be largely forested all
over, most of this gradually disappeared due to increasing
shipbuilding and farmers clearing land ( as is happening in
south america now ) for growing crops!
So trees were once all over uk so if you planted trees you
would only be restoring our climate to what it once was?
However, reforestation needs to be on a global scale to be
effective!!

Regards Donkeyman!

PS, Keep your fruit trees in the pots, they have probably been
specially developed for that!
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2019, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I completely agree Mups although it appears that a lot of developers use it as an excuse these days. Locally they have built around 700 houses and a few miles away they have built 2000 new houses and another 6000 - 10,000 are planned. I cannot imagine how much wildlife will suffer because of the development - but so long as they plant a few trees, the council approves it.
Are they council houses LD or for sale?

Regards Donkeyman!
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2019, 12:37 PM

Where I lived 'down south' before moving further north there were schemes for tree planting. One such scheme, where members of the public planted saplings in designated areas, has reached a total of more than 600,000 trees planted. That was organised by the Woodland Trust, their website is an interesting one for anyone interested in all things nature:

http://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk

There are various ways to be involved in tree planting, this BBC News item (from 2017) has details if anyone is interested:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-41551296
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom

16-07-2019, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
Where I lived 'down south' before moving further north there were schemes for tree planting. One such scheme, where members of the public planted saplings in designated areas, has reached a total of more than 600,000 trees planted. That was organised by the Woodland Trust, their website is an interesting one for anyone interested in all things nature:

http://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk

There are various ways to be involved in tree planting, this BBC News item (from 2017) has details if anyone is interested:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-41551296
Thanks for the links BAZ thats just what l was asking about!
Looks like it has got off the ground! Hoorah!
I will view more later!
Regards Donkeyman!
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2019, 12:54 PM

Thanks for those links Baz.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2019, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
Are they council houses LD or for sale?

Regards Donkeyman!
Oooh no, private and the ones round here are not cheap either. They start around 300K I believe so they are definitely not starter homes. How that will help the housing shortage, I have no idea.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2019, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I suppose as Donkeyman says, when they are planted in the ground, they grow to their full potential wheas in a pot or container, they are restrained.
Every plant in a pot grows unrestrained (having enough light and water) until the pot is starting to restrain. That is the moment to place it in a bigger pot.

A big tree has deposited a lot of carbondioxide. The moment you cut it, and most are cut to burn, the deposited carbon is released again as carbondioxide.
Wood in a landfil will release it's carbon due by being broken down by fungi.

The influence of the rainforest is mainly on water, and local. Influence of trees, forests in our region on earth, is nil.

For those interested:
https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...ts-cool-earth/

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/7...climate-change
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2019, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
Thanks for the links BAZ thats just what l was asking about!
Looks like it has got off the ground! Hoorah!
I will view more later!
Regards Donkeyman!

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Thanks for those links Baz.
You are more than welcome, pleased they were of interest. I happened to know about that as a local magazine I produced, before retiring, carried regular news about what was happening locally with tree planting. Heartwood Forest is a project well supported locally, items were often received from the Woodland Trust for publication.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top