Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2019, 11:36 AM

Re: Hot food in the fridge?

Thanks all for confirming.

A friend was helping me with a BBQ the other day and we had a debate as she thought it was a good idea to put the boiled baby potatoes on the fridge to cool down. I didn't feel this would be good for the other food and fridge but she was saying she does it all the time with no problems.

In the end she agreed with my suggestion of using cold water, which worked a treat.

But the discussion led to some googling which comes up with lots of contradictory advice. Some advice now is that you should put hot food into the fridge right away to prevent germs multiplying. But that just feels all wrong. Apparently it's common practice in some countries, including Canada.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2019, 12:56 PM

Unless you are dealing with large quantities of very hot food, it’s best to put away leftovers while they are still fresh, and certainly within that two-hour window.
https://www.thekitchn.com/is-it-ok-t...-fridge-123297
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2019, 02:05 PM

No. Of course not. You will almost certainly get food poisoning and end up very poorly.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2019, 03:01 PM

Definitely no Hot food in a refrigerator.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2019, 03:05 PM

My cooking tip or what it is worth is alway put the Christmas turkey sideways into an oven to cook

Why

Well if it explodes for some reason or other the stuffing won't fly out and damage or even smash the glass over door.

See bazza knows about these things. I's not as stupid as I am
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2019, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Definitely no Hot food in a refrigerator.
Did you read the link I posted?
It suggests otherwise.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2019, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
It suggests otherwise.
It seems to say the same thing (almost)

If you’re putting very hot food (think: soup or hot jam) in your fridge, that can bring the temperature of the fridge up to dangerously warm levels.

Of course, you’re probably not putting huge vats of soup in your fridge, right? You can also ameliorate any potential issues by using airtight containers and making sure there’s space around the containers so that cool air can circulate freely.

The Right Way to Put Leftovers in the Fridge

Unless you are dealing with large quantities of very hot food, it’s best to put away leftovers while they are still fresh, and certainly within that two-hour window.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2019, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
It suggests otherwise.
Not yet, Besoeker, but I will. My comment was born from a course I did on Food Hygiene - and the recommendation was definitely NO HOT FOOD in a refrigerator - definitely cover it, definitely cool it as quickly as possible - but do not put it in the refrigerator.

However I am always open to learning new things - so now I will go and follow your linky!
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2019, 03:47 PM

No I would never put hot food in the fridge.....
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

28-08-2019, 03:48 PM

Been there now - read it - and discarded it. Sorry, Besoeker but america is not reknowned for it's food safety. I'll stick with what I learned on my course.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top