Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2019, 08:16 PM

Re: Do we really need to read the classics?

The only classics that made any sense are in my life were

The Dandy and the Beano
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2019, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I also like a few Kafka books but unfortunately he was known for not finishing them which is a bit annoying. My favourite is Metamorphosis.
That short story was my introduction to Kafka but 'The Trial' is my favourite by a long way.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2019, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
That short story was my introduction to Kafka but 'The Trial' is my favourite by a long way.
Yes, have read that too.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2019, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by galty ->
The only classics that made any sense are in my life were

The Dandy and the Beano
Nothing wrong with that Galty. I was also a fan of both plus Whizzer & Chips.
Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2019, 08:59 PM

The Eagle with Dan Dare

That was very edukasional.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2019, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by Psmith ->
The Eagle with Dan Dare

That was very edukasional.
I loved the 'Eagle' and also 'Lion' with Paddy Payne the fighter ace and Archie the Robot......

Nowadays reading is a bit of escapism for me so David Baldacci or something a bit down to earth with Peter James. I have also enjoyed Dennis Wheatley, Peter Benchley, Patrick Lee and James Patterson. 'Lord of the Flies' by William Golding was interesting....

Rachel Joyce 'The Unlikely Journey of Harold Fry' Made me want to plan an expedition as did Cheryl Strayed with her book 'Wild' ...Brilliant.
Never felt the need to read the classics but have read and enjoyed 'A Christmas Carol' But never say never......
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

11-09-2019, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I loved the 'Eagle' and also 'Lion' with Paddy Payne the fighter ace and Archie the Robot......

Nowadays reading is a bit of escapism for me so David Baldacci or something a bit down to earth with Peter James. I have also enjoyed Dennis Wheatley, Peter Benchley, Patrick Lee and James Patterson. 'Lord of the Flies' by William Golding was interesting....

Rachel Joyce 'The Unlikely Journey of Harold Fry' Made me want to plan an expedition as did Cheryl Strayed with her book 'Wild' ...Brilliant.
Never felt the need to read the classics but have read and enjoyed 'A Christmas Carol' But never say never......
One of my favourite books Foxy and one of only two books that have ever made me cry (a little bit).
Annette
Germany
Annette is female  Annette has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2019, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
I would add ;-

John Donne
Tolkien
Kenneth Grahame
Tolstoy
Turgenev
Betjeman
Kipling

and

Oscar Fingal O'Flahertie Wills Wilde (an excellent observer of social mores)!
Certainly the Silmarillion is a classic that should be read.

I like the story of the creation of Earth.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2019, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
One of my favourite books Foxy and one of only two books that have ever made me cry (a little bit).
Yes it did me Longdogs, I stood in WHSmiffs and read the first page and it grabbed me straight away. I rushed to the till and took it home. Not very often that I'm so caught up in a story after reading just the first page, but you have to see what happens next, and I wasn't disappointed.....
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2019, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by Psmith ->
You should add Graham Greene to your list.He was a staunch Catholic and a lot of his books relate to that.
Just finished reading Grahm Greene's 'Brighton Rock'. Great author, great read. I will definitely be reading more of his.

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top