Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2015, 06:49 PM

Cars parked on pavements

I got my first ever parking ticket by parking on a pavement whilst nipping into Argos to pick a parcel up. I was gutted, but I shouldn't have done it. I said to the Warden I was only away two minutes and that it was my first ticket, but she said it's because you're on the pavement. That taught me a lesson. Some people just don't care. They take up half the pavement. What if someone in a wheelchair was passing by? Or a blind person with a dog?

The following bill is being introduced in Scotland and I definitely would abide by it.

What do you think?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...itics-32810568
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2015, 06:53 PM

Re: Cars parked on pavements

At the bottom of our street lives a man who runs a car repair business and it's a residential house. There is quite a congestion with cars and vans there and he parks on the pavement otherwise vehicles wouldn't be able to pass through. I'm very surprised the local authority allow it.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2015, 07:43 PM

One of the MP's involved said the parking on pavements could cause problems for people with mobility problems - in my experience they are some of the worst offenders!
It'll never happen.
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2015, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
At the bottom of our street lives a man who runs a car repair business and it's a residential house. There is quite a congestion with cars and vans there and he parks on the pavement otherwise vehicles wouldn't be able to pass through. I'm very surprised the local authority allow it.
If that happened where I live someone would soon report it.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2015, 07:48 PM

There's someone in our street does it, but I'm inclined to think it's because it's very busy and they are afraid their wing mirror will get damaged. I prefer to turn my wing mirror inwards when I park. My one misdemeanor has made me think twice about even thinking about parking on the kerb.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2015, 09:58 PM

The road i live on is narrow ,and cars are parked on the pavement up and down the road,,id hate to be a mother pushing a pram ,,i was a mothers helper to twins , and I took them out in the twin buggy for a walk ,it was a nightmare , I had to keep walking on the road to get by the cars parked on the pavement ..
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2015, 11:57 PM

What annoys me is, instead of just parking two wheels on the edge of the pavement, some people park two thirds of their car on the pavement, and as others are saying, you can't get past.
Its a right pain for anyone with a pushchair, dog walkers, wheelchairs, mobility scooters, and even a couple walking together.
It's a nightmare here twice a day when the local school is turning out.
KnickerFarage
London
KnickerFarage is female  KnickerFarage has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2015, 02:56 AM

Originally Posted by Myra ->
I got my first ever parking ticket by parking on a pavement whilst nipping into Argos to pick a parcel up. I was gutted, but I shouldn't have done it. I said to the Warden I was only away two minutes and that it was my first ticket, but she said it's because you're on the pavement. That taught me a lesson. Some people just don't care. They take up half the pavement. What if someone in a wheelchair was passing by? Or a blind person with a dog?

The following bill is being introduced in Scotland and I definitely would abide by it.

What do you think?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...itics-32810568

that's the problem with living in a nation where the roads were designed for the horse and pedestrians
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2015, 06:52 AM

Keep death off the road, drive on the pavement.
seacroft
york
seacroft is male  seacroft has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2015, 07:39 AM

This reminded me of several years ago when I still had that nasty habit of working I would park my company car outside the house partly on the curb to allow max room for passing cars along the avenue which is about three and half cars wide.

My wifes car would be parked on our short driveway, the lady who lived opposite complained that she was unable to easily exit her drive due to my car and when I pointed out there was sufficient room for a Sherman tank she reported me to Police for parking on the kerb.

I was advised to stop doing this so I complied and began to park fully on the carriageway up to the kerb edge, this of course made things worse for the lady opposite, PC plod was called back again and informed her that I was parking now quite correctly and causing no obstruction.

He privately confided to me that lady still had room for a double decker.

A short while later the lady moved home, why do ladys all seem to have trouble manoeuvring ???

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top