Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2016, 05:30 PM

Re: Avoid Kia cars

I used to have a Kia Rio and no problems at all....
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2016, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed
being a 4WD car underneath should be well protected as it is built for off road use.
I suspect you have the wrong perception of what constitutes an "off-road" car. The Kia Sorento is not, imo, an off-road car.

There are the following types of cars:

4WD
SUV
Cross-overs
Off-Roaders

ANY car can have 4WD. Lot's of sporty cars can have it like Audi's for example but they are NOT meant for off-road. The 4WD just gives them better grip, road holding and power distribution.

SUV's and cross-overs, for the most part, are equally NOT off-road cars. They are largely silly designs pandering to the increasing demand of Sheeple who want to look good taking the kids to school. They like the idea of 4WD and the chunky look, but will never use the vehicle in any rugged environment, and that's probably wise in most cases because the cars would break easily.

True off-roaders are Land-rovers, Jeeps and the like. They should have very significantly higher ground clearance (not just the odd extra inch).

In terms of Kia and any other manufacturers offering long warranty periods, one must always be wary and sceptical imo. A long warranty may sound enticing, but what use is that to you if the car spends all its time in the garage ? Sure the fixes might be covered under that warranty but what you need is a running car. This is why many people don't buy Alfa Romeos, because they have a bad reputation for spending too much time in the garage being repaired.

In all honesty, a quality car actually makes a better financial proposition from the outset PROVIDED that you keep the car for many years. It costs more initially to buy a BMW, Audi, Merc etc but, their depreciation will be better than cheaper cars like Ford, Vauxhall, Hyundai etc. Their build quality will mean they will last throughout those years and you'll have a smile on your face every time to get in the driving seat.

I bought a 6mth old sleek 3.0 V6 coupe in 1999. Prob cost about £19K at the time which felt huge at the time. However, 15-16yrs later I still have it, it has never, not once, broken down, never failed an MOT (except for wear/tear items like tyres and brakes), it runs sweet as a nut, purrs like a cat and has electric everything.

Other people I know buy brand new Seat's and other marques about every 3 yrs, they get tied into these stupid lease/hire agreements and ultimately they end up spending £thousands and £thousands on their total cost of motoring. They are not wise imo.

Buy good quality, keep for 10yrs or more and you save £thousands on motoring and still had a top marque car.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2016, 06:44 PM

The top makes of car ie BMW Audi mercs vw are not without their problems and faults, engine failures due to broken cam chains ect are not as uncommon as people might think, go to the honest john website and have a look on there , good honest advice about cars and motoring
Advantage Out
Öresund, Sweden
Advantage Out is male  Advantage Out has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2016, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Don't ever buy a Kia car. I could make a list of all the problems we have had with this make and not just on one vehicle. Today Sues battery was flat after not using the Kia ceed car for a week and previously bad earth/body connection as wrong metal used. Ok the car and original battery are 7 years old so no problem there, the problem was getting a replacement battery like for like. Would you believe in the whole of the UK Kia don't stock one? true. The Kia garage offered one a different size and power output.
Apart from that she has has alloy wheels rusting- a radio that may/may not work.

My Sorento had warped discs after 800 miles, put into 4WD which would not work and the ABS warning light came on. This was due to rusted cabling under the car which went back 4 times to 2 different kia garages and still not fixed. being a 4WD car underneath should be well protected as it is built for off road use. Major engine part needed and shipped from Korea which took a couple of months as not stocked in UK.They could have flown it in by the next day.

This make must be about the worst I have ever had and that is quite a few. Oh and they don't honour their 7 year warranty either
Cheap cars made cheaply and terrible build after care service rubbish with replacement parts
All of that!? I imagine KIA will be suing you for a King's ransom now. Now that we've read your post KIA will no longer have the power to surprise.
Maddy
somewwhere.....
Maddy is female  Maddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2016, 07:57 PM

sorry u had bad luck ...i drive a kia ..lovely to drive - had no problems 'and running it costs very little fuel wise ...but its luck of the draw with any motor u buy 'i had a few problems with my bmw i had - !!!!!
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2016, 08:03 PM

The best customer service we ever got was from Seat. When we first came to Spain we bought a 2 year old Seat Ibiza. Mr Clumsy likes to do his own maintenance as much as possible, but we couldn't get a manual anywhere.
I emailed Seat head office in Madrid asking where we could get one, I also told them it was not a brand new car. They replied to me instantly and asked for our phone number. I sent it, I got a phone call from them, they told me they would send a manual to our Seat dealer. They called me a week later to tell me they had sent 2, one to the dealer in the nearest large town and one to our local Seat garage in our local small town. Mr Clumsy went to collect the one from our local small town, my goodness, you would have thought he was royalty, such a greeting ! The manual was given to us, I called Seat in Madrid to tell them we now had the manual. They gave me a name and contact number at their head office and told me to call if I required anything else. I was told "second hand or new, you are a Seat customer". I don't think you can fault that for service.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2016, 09:30 PM

I've owned a Kia Sportage for two years and haven't had a problem with it yet. A pleasure to drive too. Having been used to 4x4s I decided to get this model instead of a replacement Vitara as it's cheaper to run, insure, tax and maintain.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2016, 09:38 PM

Why not buy a British car...oh hang on now there are'nt any now are there?
Flowerpower
East Anglia, UK
Flowerpower is female  Flowerpower has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2016, 09:38 PM

I've only ever had two brand new cars in my life and one was a Kia Sportage. It was fine and we had no problems with it.
jaywalker
Hobart, Tasmania
jaywalker is female  jaywalker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2016, 01:39 AM

Maybe they are different models here in Oz but we have two Kias which were recommended to us by the motoring editor of the newspaper where my partner worked.

One is 17 years old and has never had anything done to it other than new tyres, brake linings and battery. On the strength of that we bought a new one for me three years ago and it's the most economical car I've ever had and no complaints about it t all. On my recommendation my friend bought a new one last year and has had no problems.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top