Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2019, 11:59 AM

Re: Do we really need to read the classics?

I had to read some of them while at school, to be honest I struggled with them, I simply found them boring and hard to get into. My wee mind likes books that keep me guessing and are entertaining....But that's just me.
Just downloaded a new Ian Rankin today, looking forward to getting stuck into that..
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2019, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
I had to read some of them while at school, to be honest I struggled with them, I simply found them boring and hard to get into. My wee mind likes books that keep me guessing and are entertaining....But that's just me.
Just downloaded a new Ian Rankin today, looking forward to getting stuck into that..
Another great Scot.........
Yes, I've read some of Inspector Rebus books.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2019, 12:13 PM

Do any of you find there are some authors you just cannot read - although you can enjoy dramatizations of their work?

I loved the 'Inspector Morse' TV series - but cannot read Colin Dexter. The same with P.D.James (Adam Dalgliesh ), Ruth Rendell (Wexford), and Ian Rankin (Rebus). Enjoy watching them on TV but just cannot get into the books.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2019, 06:23 PM

I didn't like Morse books or TV, same with Wexford. I only started to enjoy Rebus when Ken Stott took over from John Hannah. I like both the Books and TV about DCI Banks.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2019, 07:36 PM

In the students union lounge at Manchester U there was / is a --- private library --- of books that were hardly Mills and Boon. The French based Olympian Press was well represented as was the Ophelia press, likewise French based. Classics such as The Ballad of Eskimo Nell* were to be had (and learned) along with a wide variety of stuff that was decidedly illegal in the 60's but would not be now.

Nothing really nasty, though opinions might vary in the case of some such as the writings of the Marquis de Sade etc. but later in life while working towards my MBA I wrote a short thesis on the place of the thoughts of Machiavelli in modern business management that was very well received.

Some of us, though I wasn't one (really) seemed to spend more time in that library than the legitimate ones!
Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2019, 12:06 AM

I always used to struggle with the Shakespeare plays because I only ever read his stuff in school.But seeing it actually performed really brings it to life.Which is not surprising really,I suppose.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2019, 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by Devo ->
What is a classic? Who decides what is and what isn't?
I must admit that when I saw the first list my original reaction was that they weren't classics at all. Surely the works of Homer, Virgil, Ovid and Sophocles (sp?) are the classics.

As for needing to read them - No! Though I only enjoyed Latin classes because we were reading The Iliad which was a ripping yarn. (Even that is odd because the story would have been written in Ancient Greek wouldn't it?)

Anyway my personal 'must read' authors are people like Franz Kafka, Vera Brittain and Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, advice steadfastly ignored by my kids.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2019, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
Bloody behave will ya?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2019, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I must admit that when I saw the first list my original reaction was that they weren't classics at all. Surely the works of Homer, Virgil, Ovid and Sophocles (sp?) are the classics.

As for needing to read them - No! Though I only enjoyed Latin classes because we were reading The Iliad which was a ripping yarn. (Even that is odd because the story would have been written in Ancient Greek wouldn't it?)

Anyway my personal 'must read' authors are people like Franz Kafka, Vera Brittain and Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, advice steadfastly ignored by my kids.
I also like a few Kafka books but unfortunately he was known for not finishing them which is a bit annoying. My favourite is Metamorphosis.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2019, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
In the students union lounge at Manchester U there was / is a --- private library --- of books that were hardly Mills and Boon. The French based Olympian Press was well represented as was the Ophelia press, likewise French based. Classics such as The Ballad of Eskimo Nell* were to be had (and learned) along with a wide variety of stuff that was decidedly illegal in the 60's but would not be now.

Nothing really nasty, though opinions might vary in the case of some such as the writings of the Marquis de Sade etc. but later in life while working towards my MBA I wrote a short thesis on the place of the thoughts of Machiavelli in modern business management that was very well received.

Some of us, though I wasn't one (really) seemed to spend more time in that library than the legitimate ones!
Olympian press that take me back a bit, plain covers, no pictures, just the title and author

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top