Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

19-06-2012, 10:37 AM

Dogs unrestrained in cars!

This morning an elderly woman drove towards me, as she did so her dog jumped onto her lap. In order to push it back onto the front seat she took her eye off the road! I am not sure what the law is regarding dogs in cars, but surely it should be illegal to have one unrestrained? Our daughter and family are responsible dog owners and always ensure their animal is in a restraint in the back seat. If a child has to be restrained so much more so should an animal!
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2012, 11:49 AM

Re: Dogs unrestrained in cars!

I am in full agreement Willow, our dogs travel in a dog crate which is secured in the back of our 4x4 so that they are always confined and safe. When you are driving the last thing that you need is a loose animal jumping all over you...
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

19-06-2012, 12:03 PM

Last year I saw a woman driving along in our busy local town with her dog on her lap with its head out of the window. I am sure she would have been booked for that is the police had seen the incident!
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2012, 01:11 PM

There are dog harnesses that clip to the seat belts, but I've never know anyone to use one. Besides being a boon to the driver it could help prevent a dog from serious injury in case of an accident - or so I've heard.

"Driving distracted" is an offense in my part of Canada and that includes texting, talking on a cell phone. I'd be happy to see it include driving with an unrestrained pet as well as driving while eating a bowl of cereal - the lady in the grey Honda behind me this morning!
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

19-06-2012, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Annie Jack ->
There are dog harnesses that clip to the seat belts, but I've never know anyone to use one. Besides being a boon to the driver it could help prevent a dog from serious injury in case of an accident - or so I've heard.

"Driving distracted" is an offense in my part of Canada and that includes texting, talking on a cell phone. I'd be happy to see it include driving with an unrestrained pet as well as driving while eating a bowl of cereal - the lady in the grey Honda behind me this morning!
Being distracted at the wheel is an offence over here too, but I think having a dog unrestrained should be a specific offence. After all it is illegal for passengers not to wear seat belts, and children have to be in car seats or on booster cushions until they are 12 or reach 4' 5" in height, whichever is the soonest.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2012, 02:41 PM

We had harnesses for our two dogs which clipped to the seat belt, but they were not really very satisfactory and I would sit in the back with them because on one occasion one of the dogs almost strangled when twisting around. Then the law here changed and all dogs must be secured in the back of a vehicle, either by the use of the partition type thing (I don't know what you call them) or in a travelling crate. We purchased a double size cage for our two, they were not too thrilled at first but now are well used to it and more than happy to get in.

If you are stopped by the police and have an unrestrained dog in the car then you are fined on the spot, around 160 euros. It is illegal here to have a dog, or other animal, in the front of the car.
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2012, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Annie Jack ->

I have harnesses for my two which I use for long trips in the car like my recent weekend in Norfolk. I don't use them for short journeys though.
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2012, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by clumsy ->
If you are stopped by the police and have an unrestrained dog in the car then you are fined on the spot, around 160 euros. It is illegal here to have a dog, or other animal, in the front of the car.
Good! Let's hope that catches on. I also hope there are safer harness designs on the market - scary to think a dog could be strangled while you're trying to keep them safe.

My sister has a wire divider to keep her dog in the back and he is quite comfy stretched out on a blanket, but it's good she didn't have him in the van when she was hit from behind on the weekend as there was serious damage done.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2012, 10:28 PM

I'm afraid it's not just dogs that are sometimes free to roam around a moving car, it's also known that some cats have the same freedom as many dislike being shut in a cat carrier A cat can squeeze into the smallest of places and could cause a hazard if it ventures under the brake pedal or jumps on the dashboard...
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

20-06-2012, 08:31 AM

Any owner who permits their dogs/cats or whatever, to roam around the car unrestrained is a bad owner and should be done by the RSPCA for potential cruelty. An animal could jump out of the window and cause harm to itself and possibly an accident too as cars swerve to avoid hitting it. A caring owner would always ensure their animal was safely restrained. If they don't like a harness use a dog crate instead.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top