Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Docholliday
Norfolk UK
Docholliday is male  Docholliday has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2016, 06:03 PM

Flipping Cheek

I just watched an advert for The Salvation Army they were asking people to donate £19 whatever happened to give what you can. They are not the only one's i have seen some charities asking people to give even more!!
I do not mind giving to charities but i certainly will not be dictated in how much to give i think it is a flipping cheek!
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2016, 06:12 PM

Re: Flipping Cheek

I always donate to the Salvation Army at Christmas .
They do such good work.
I expect that they ask for £19 knowing most people will up it to twenty .
I am sure they will happily accept any donation .
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2016, 06:31 PM

I have said exactly the same thing just recently Doc.

People never used to state how much they want, they were just happy for people to care enough to donate whatever they could afford to give.
I agree with you entirely, it is wrong.
Many people couldn't even afford to give half that much, £19 is a lot to some folks, especially as they have perhaps given to several other charities as well.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2016, 06:40 PM

I give what i can when i can, but no contact details, im sure that despite setting amounts, they are still grateful for any donations received
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2016, 06:59 PM

Was brought up next door to the Sally Army in Middlesbrough till I was 4/5yrs old. Will always remember the singers and the playing of instruments as they walked down Cannon Street on special occasions and the singing that came out of their old hall they had as I played in the backyard.
I actually stopped donating about 10yrs ago to them .
I dropped our lass's mate off at work in The Elephant and Castle one morning. She worked for the Sally Army and when I saw the brand spanking new building that they had.
I decided there and then I could put my donations to far better use on my own kids.
I reckon they have forgotten what its like to be living in hard times. I will never.
Asking for a set amount like £19 just proves to my I am right,they should be glad what they are given.

Docholliday
Norfolk UK
Docholliday is male  Docholliday has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2016, 07:15 PM

Ok if they would be grateful for any donations no matter how small then why don't they make this known instead of asking straight out for £19?
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2016, 07:29 PM

On the leaflet we got, the requested donation amounts are £9, £19 and £45. I believe these would be what it costs to provide varying amount of help per person or per family. I suppose the idea is they hope you will give enough money to provide, in its entirety, one of those levels of help. If that can't be afforded though, I'm sure they would be grateful for lesser amounts.

We will give £25 the same as last year. £19 will buy a box of groceries for those families on the breadline so they can have decent Christmas meal together. The other £6 can go part way to something else.

I trust the Salvation Army to judge which people are in genuine need.
Docholliday
Norfolk UK

03-12-2016, 07:37 PM

£45 having a bloody laugh aren't they? I have just emailed them and complained.
Flowerpower
East Anglia, UK
Flowerpower is female  Flowerpower has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2016, 07:38 PM

It gets on my nerves too being dictated to. All the adverts on TV want "just £3 a month". Errr why £3?

My hubby won't ever give to any charities now. He reckons there's too much fiddling and waste going on and to a point I agree.

We had a Parish Council Clerk a few villages away who pinched about £50,000 in total from the council, from a couple of small charities and from the Royal British Legion. My friend used to collect for her for the Poppy Appeal for years and after a while she stopped getting the little slips which said how much your collection tin had contained. She checked with another collector and she confirmed this had also happened to her for the last few years. When it all came out they realised what she had been up to.
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2016, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Docholliday ->
I just watched an advert for The Salvation Army they were asking people to donate £19 whatever happened to give what you can. They are not the only one's i have seen some charities asking people to give even more!!
I do not mind giving to charities but i certainly will not be dictated in how much to give i think it is a flipping cheek!
It certainly is a cheek when these Charities have £millions in the Bank and the Directors get paid more than the Prime Minister and managers get well paid too.

The Volunteers who do all the hard work get 'Tea and Biscuits'.

I support The R N L I. brave men who who risk their lives at Sea to save those in peril.
Also 'Medicenes Sans Frontieres' who use most of the donations for treating sick and injured people in the battle zones.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top