Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2020, 02:22 PM

Re: Coronavirus: Almost 30,000 'excess' care homes deaths

I was considering entering a care home, recently, as I turned 84.

The cost effectiveness of care homes, around here is interesting.

1) You are likely to have to pay 35000- 40000 per year, for the privilege. (https://ukcareguide.co.uk/care-home-costs/)

2) The staff are likely to be on minimum wage & in short supply accordingly.

3) Lots of choice. Builders & Care Home Companies are grabbing land, like there's no tomorrow, around here. I'm told that builders will make this their first choice.

4) I'm told that, if someone is taken ill, & needs to go to hospital, refunds for lost weeks are not on the cards.

5) Oh! & don't talk about the Equity Release "deals".

So, I've taken a rain check. I think Boris may be about to have a review of these "services"!

Maybe some of the Care Home Management might put the effort in to get PPE kit, etc (& pay for it out of the above).

Senior Citizens get hit in so many ways, what with costs of care, quality of care, etc.

If you pay 35,000, annually, out of your assets, you might feel that Boris is right to criticise the fat cats for their contribution.

Note: The Council run Homes, round here are £850 ish a week. We pay for that through our council tax. Maybe the council could have purchased some PPE?
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2020, 10:03 AM

Re: Coronavirus: Almost 30,000 'excess' care homes deaths

Further to my previous!

I've now started to look at the idea of just moving into a hotel.

Yea, it sounds mad but, when you look at a room in a moderate hotel, you might well be paying less than 100 squid a night. You would be getting free TV included. There might be a good inexpensive restaurant, in there, and there is a check in desk to call for help.

I also just read about living on a world cruise liner, that sounds interesting.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top