Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2020, 01:48 PM

Re: Rocking Bathroom Toilet

I agree it would help you if you could raise the pan, if it enables a better bearing to be formed underneath. The flush pipe can normally be shortened vertically quite easily, as long as you have access to the underside of the cistern. Just unscrew the connection of the flush pipe from the cistern and shorten the pipe by the same amount that you have raised the pan. regarding the soil pipe, nine times out of ten there is usually enough play in the joints to allow for some movement, particularly if you are raising the pan by less than an inch or so...
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2020, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
The flush pipe can normally be shortened vertically quite easily, as long as you have access to the underside of the cistern.
Normally behind the pan is a large cutout in the back panel for access anyway, so should be doable, as you know.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2020, 12:58 PM

One of my son-in-laws, who works as a carpenter in the building trade, dropped by to look at this.

He was surprised at the lack of supporting beams, below this toilet, and says that I'm lucky I looked at it when it was still "rocking".

Another couple of rocks, he said, and the user could have dropped through the floor, whilst still perched, and landed in the kitchen.

Today, he's coming back to build the supports, which will be as suggested in this topic, and sort out the connections & tiling.

He noted that the big gasket, which connects pan to drain, was the wrong spec and was too short to make the proper connection.

Hence the long term drips which mushed the wood.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2020, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
One of my son-in-laws, who works as a carpenter in the building trade, dropped by to look at this.

He was surprised at the lack of supporting beams, below this toilet, and says that I'm lucky I looked at it when it was still "rocking".

Another couple of rocks, he said, and the user could have dropped through the floor, whilst still perched, and landed in the kitchen.

Today, he's coming back to build the supports, which will be as suggested in this topic, and sort out the connections & tiling.

He noted that the big gasket, which connects pan to drain, was the wrong spec and was too short to make the proper connection.

Hence the long term drips which mushed the wood.
Rather worryingly, it's what was in those drips that will possibly make things a little, er, pungent.

Anyway, glad you're getting it sorted
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2020, 09:44 AM

Done now.

Looks good.

Leak fixed.

Base rebuilt & tested by having an elephant sit on it (hard to get up the stairs!)

Job Done.

Thanks for all comments & advice.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2020, 11:02 AM

Done now.

Looks good.

Leak fixed.

Base rebuilt & tested by having an elephant sit on it (hard to get up the stairs!)

Job Done.

Thanks for all comments & advice.

Good to hear Ted, may I wish you and your new pan many happy stable years together...
Tedc
Berkshire, UK

13-07-2020, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
Good to hear Ted, may I wish you and your new pan many happy stable years together...
Anyone have a vacancy for an elephant?

Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK

13-07-2020, 01:47 PM

Anyone have a vacancy for an elephant?

I've got a spare seat in the back of my mini

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top