Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2019, 12:37 PM

Treacle and Golden Syrup

Do you still use treacle?

I remember as a child having a sweeter tooth than I do nowadays, and a treacle sandwich was a common snack.

Today I couldn't eat much treacle, syrup or other things like that as they would make me feel a bit nauseated.

How about you; do you have fond memories of treacle and golden syrup?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2019, 12:50 PM

Re: Treacle and Golden Syrup

Treacle pudding, syrup puddings or golden syrup on porridge. I still have enjoy those things although not too often. I can remember bread & syrup and also my Mum used to give me a large spoonful of Malt every day.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2019, 01:00 PM

Treacle Sponge and custard......Mmmmmmmm
My favourite dessert...
Ripple
Ripple is female  Ripple has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2019, 01:08 PM

Yes I use treacle when making sticky toffee pudding ,ginger pudding and cakes.
Also golden syrup for flapjacks, rocky road and tray bakes.

Evaporated milk is very old fashion but I love it poured on porridge
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2019, 01:09 PM

Morning Ffosse, Yes I do, especially for when using the Nigella Lawson Gammon and Coca Cola recipe where it calls for Treacle coating before plonking the Gammon in the oven.
Divine taste from the Treacle.

I also have a tin of Tate & Lyle Syrup in the cupboard (must check the use by date for that). When little I used to love a Syrup butty, but mainly now for making Syrup Sponge and custard desserts.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2019, 01:13 PM

Not used either for years.
I hate black treacle!
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2019, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
I remember as a child having a sweeter tooth than I do nowadays, and a treacle sandwich was a common snack.
Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Treacle pudding, syrup puddings or golden syrup on porridge. I can remember bread & syrup.
Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Treacle Sponge and custard......Mmmmmmmm
All those plus treacle lattice tart, made by my father, who learned to cook while serving in the Royal Navy during WWII.

mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2019, 01:16 PM

Yes, we eat treacle. Not as a spread but Mrs mart makes treacle tart occasionally. Very nice it is too.

My sister and I used to have treacle on bread when we were children.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2019, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Morning Ffosse, Yes I do, especially for when using the Nigella Lawson Gammon and Coca Cola recipe where it calls for Treacle coating before plonking the Gammon in the oven.
Divine taste from the Treacle.

I also have a tin of Tate & Lyle Syrup in the cupboard (must check the use by date for that). When little I used to love a Syrup butty, but mainly now for making Syrup Sponge and custard desserts.
To be fair, that should be black treacle topped with brown sugar before putting in the oven to glaze. Have made that many times - delicious it is.

I'm hungry now.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2019, 01:50 PM

I use golden syrup to make chocolate cornflakes cake things and toffee apples for my grandchildren.They love them as do the grown ups!
Earlier this week, l used it to make flapjack as wanted to use up some porridge oats.

I haven’t used treacle for years but when l was at school, l used to make treacle toffee and take it in for my friends at school. Terrible on your teeth but really nice!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top