Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-12-2018, 12:17 PM

WiFi issue

Hi

My computer went to sleep and on start up will not reconnect to the modem.

I have had to run a lead to the modem.

Any ideas?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-12-2018, 12:30 PM

Re: WiFi issue

When ours did that it was the modem was out of date, BT sent us a new one and we were up and running again.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-12-2018, 01:10 PM

Turn your router off for around 20secs then turn it back on. My WiFi drops out out regularly, maybe because the default channel 11 is swamped by the masses of WiFi signals surrounding me.

I connect my PC to my router via NIC cable but my Amazon Echo devices are wireless and stop working from time to time and have to reboot my router.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-12-2018, 02:15 PM

Is your keyboard f12 button switched on?
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-12-2018, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Is your keyboard f12 button switched on?
Hi

Yes, on and red not white.

The modem is working perfectly.

I have been online and tried various suggestions, but to no avail.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2019, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Turn your router off for around 20secs then turn it back on. My WiFi drops out out regularly, maybe because the default channel 11 is swamped by the masses of WiFi signals surrounding me.

I connect my PC to my router via NIC cable but my Amazon Echo devices are wireless and stop working from time to time and have to reboot my router.
A few months ago I switched broadband supplier and got a new router which greatly improved speed of internet connectivity.

However, lately response times have been a bit sluggish so I checked my WiFI Analyzer and it showed several new routers, mostly SKY, in the vicinity, hogging channels 1-8 - my router was on 1-3.

Now I thought that my router always found the least busy channels but, since it hadn't I decided to "persuade" it. In my case, this meant going into the router software via a browser and making the change manually. Once I had logged out of the browser, I checked my WiFI Analyzer and it showed that the router was working on 10-12. I checked a few websites and, once again I have greatly improved speed of internet connectivity.

That's another job to put on the monthly to-do list, then .....
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2019, 08:35 PM

Does the network icon show the wi-fi as being connected?
Does the computer's network troubleshooter come up with anything?
Tried a reboot?
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2019, 09:59 PM

If connecting to the modem with a cable works, then there are no issues with the broadband service itself.

Putting the machine into Sleep mode often confuses my Win 7 Netbook in the way you describe so I NEVER use Sleep mode.

When it happens, a hard reboot always solves the problem and gets wireless working again.

However as always, logic is the way to approach these things and elimination is the way to go.

So . . .

Do you have any other devices that use your WiFi broadband?

i.e. Kindles or other e-readers, smart phone, iPad or other tablet etc?

If so check if they are still working.

If they are then your problem is the computer. A

If they aren't then the problem is the router. B

For A, a reboot should solve the issue. Actually simply logging off and back on can often fix it. (I assume you have manually clicked on the network links and asked it to connect to your home network already)

For B, it's possible the wireless function has been disabled or the aerial has come detached (unlikely)

If so, go into router settings using your computer and look through the various menu options to find the wireless function. Ensure it is enabled.

Finally, make sure that your computer going into Sleep mode was the only thing that changed.

Has anything else changed or been updated recently? Any password changes? Any software updates etc?
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2019, 02:22 AM

Originally Posted by mart ->
Does the network icon show the wi-fi as being connected?
Does the computer's network troubleshooter come up with anything?
Tried a reboot?
At the moment, my wifi is "Connected", the others aren't.

PC network troubleshooter discovered nothing amiss.

PC gets rebooted every day.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

15-03-2019, 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
If connecting to the modem with a cable works, then there are no issues with the broadband service itself.
Everything of mine is working perfectly but internet reception had definitely become laggy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top