Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2019, 08:20 AM

Re: What Makes You, You?

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Our thoughts are our own.
Not necessarily !
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2019, 03:37 PM

I have now given this some thought.
A brain is just a brain, if it is not in a body, it is just an organ.
It is our experiences, that start inside the womb that makes us real.
Our senses, that provide humans with a template for being human.
A brain although human or otherwise is nothing more than a living thing, like an Amoeba.
So how can we think otherwise????

However, thinking back on famous science fiction writers of the past, how often has science fiction now become science fact?
Are brain transplants our future?
Scary stuff eh?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2019, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Good thoughts here. No doubt that we are a combination of nurture, nature (genes), and environment. I have seen through family members and friends that even though we are what we are, we can be changed also be changed, sometimes permanently, by disease.

Then there is the question of what we are or aren't before and after we are born. Big questions.

I started this thread because I've really been bothered by two different studies one is the possibility that within our grandchidren's lifetimes, they may be able to have microchips implanted that will enable them to save data - like something they have learned, and this new study in which mouse brain stem cells are being used to generate brains.

The costs and morality of this kind of research just bothers me on a very deep level - both for the animals and for humanity.
I suppose the data storage bit had to come eventually. What worries me about it is what happens when it goes wrong, as all computers do at some stage and if we were all super intelligent would we simply destroy each other faster?

I watched the film 'Lucy' last night which was quite interesting.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2019, 03:56 PM

I believe we have both bodies and souls and they separate at the moment of death; where the soul goes after I'm still trying to work out.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2019, 04:23 PM

It's an interesting question.
What made me me?
I always wanted to be an engineer. Even from before I really knew what it meant. I think I played with mechanical bits and pieces. Springs, nuts etc.
But, as things transpired, I became an electrical engineer in the field of power electronics, a husband, a father, a grandfather, dog owner, travelled the world, saw things that many don't have the chance to see.........

Hong Kong both before and after it was ceded back, pre and post apartheid South Africa, Libya in the Gadaffi regime, the world's most luxurious hotel......stuff like that.........

In some ways, a glamorous life style but much of the time you saw the inside of a plane, the inside of a hotel room, and the inside of an industrial production plant.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top