Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
jaywalker
Hobart, Tasmania
jaywalker is female  jaywalker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2013, 12:13 AM

Re: Best book ever!!!

My partner and I are both voracious readers, and we are never without a book on the go and have rooms full, both read and unread. He often reads several at a time as long as they are very different types.

I couldn't pick a "best book". Like jazzi I veer from good mysteries and thrillers such as Peter Robinson, P D James, Henning Mankell, Elizabeth George to biographies, history and general literature by writers such as Penelope Lively, Joanna Trollope, Robert Goddard, Joanna Harris and many others.

I'm currently reading "Inheritance", the history of the Sackville-West family and their ancestral home at Knole which I've visited. I knew about Vita but not the history of the family back to the 1400s.
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2013, 06:43 PM

Up until 2008 I was never without a book on my desk or in my pocket .Then came early retirement and for some unknown reason I stopped reading books and started using the computer. Always got good books on birthdays and Christmas's from family and still do. I am always easy to buy for any good book. From The Conquistadors by Michael Wood many books of The Titanic which always intrigued me to Dan Brown The DaVinci Code and Terry Prachetts Hogfather. I also had various favs John Connolly The Killing Kind, The DaVinci Code I could not put down until I had read it all. Got complete collections on my shelves like Morse, The Dark Tower, Jeffery Archers, I have biography's falling off the shelves. Who knows one day I may pick one up again and actually sit and read again. That will more than likely be by candle light when there is no power for the computer..
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2013, 10:01 PM

I enjoy biographies and true crime, never be a shortage of material there, but I have recently begun to read Morse and the Inspector Banks series. Sound a bit of a weirdo..... I'm not, honestly.....
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2013, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by Grumblewagon ->
Robert Junior - I have to agree that "The curious case of the dog in the Nightime" is a fascinating, unique read.".
Coincidence......the theatre which had it's roof collapse today was showing "The curious case of the dog in the night time"
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2013, 11:33 PM

As a child I loved "Black Beauty". Read it over and over, in fact to this day I can still recall how it started:
"The first place I can well remember was a large pleasant meadow with a pond of clear water in it, rushes and water lillies grew at the deep end ..."
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2013, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
As a child I loved "Black Beauty". Read it over and over, in fact to this day I can still recall how it started:
"The first place I can well remember was a large pleasant meadow with a pond of clear water in it, rushes and water lillies grew at the deep end ..."
Mups I still have a copy somewhere and will read it to my grandchildren when thy are older ..
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2013, 11:48 PM

Ah, they'll love it Meg. Even the sad bits teach us to have compassion.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2013, 12:40 PM

I have loved "The Lord of The Rings" since I was about 11yrs old and have worn out countless paperback copies. About 10yrs ago I gave an illustrated talk on the life and works of J R R Tollien (a fascinating man) at University and they presented me with the most wonderfully bound and illustrated copy of the LOTR as a thank you. I read it at least once a year, and it would be my 'Desert Island' book. It is eveything: Romance, Fantasy, War, Thriller, Social Comment, Theology, History.

Apart from LOTR I love the classics Hardy, Austen, Lawrence and Dickins.
I also enjoy Michael Connelly, Jeffrey Deaver, Colin Dexter etc., and I love biographies - just finished 'Tall, Dark and Gruesome' by Christopher Lee.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2013, 01:25 PM

I read loads, mainly Historical and Science fiction, lots of books on wildlife and local history. The first book i can remember that left an impact was Call of the Wild by Jack London.

Historical fiction authors i like include James Clavell, Bernard Cornwell, Simon Scarrow. Sci - Fi, EE Doc Smith, Arthur C Clark, . Others, Stephen Donaldson, LOTR type fantasy, Dale Brown, John Prebble, Eric van Lustbader, All have provided hours of escapist pleasure, and i read books time after time again.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2013, 01:57 PM

I remember reading about Elizabeth Fry and Edith Cavell at age 11 (?) I do remember loving them.
We both read, but have completely different tastes, although we both like Stephen King.
The Moon's a Balloon, I remember enjoying too.
How difficult to try and say which book was the most enjoyable .. there have been so many.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top