Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Dozeymare
Kent, UK
Dozeymare is female  Dozeymare has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2015, 10:56 PM

Re: How I'd love to read a good book.

Oh I quite agree with your comments about being a book worm years ago but finding it hard to find something these days... I belong to a book club and we meet every five to six weeks ... Find myself resenting most of the titles as they seem to come under the heading of "misery lit" and don't feel able to start a book til I've read the book club one! But I keep procrastinating!!!!
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2015, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by maursey ->
Thank you so much Orangutan.I like anyone famous in the acting business or royalty. I also enjoy any true story that is interesting. I don't like sad books. I'm not a sad person.
Sidney Poitier "The Measure of a Man", Julie Walters "That's Another Story"? Peter Godwin "When the Crocodile Eats the Sun"?
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2015, 06:06 AM

I have my fave authors and get a tad twitchy until i get my grubby paws on their latest offering, love looking round bookshops and charity shops for lost gems.
maursey
hertfordshire
maursey is female  maursey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2015, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
Sidney Poitier "The Measure of a Man", Julie Walters "That's Another Story"? Peter Godwin "When the Crocodile Eats the Sun"?
Thank you so much Orangutan. The Julie Walters seems to attract me so may buy that one. I like her.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2015, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Grumblewagon ->
The best autobiography that I have read was 'Bermondsey Boy' the story of Tommy Steele. It was a fascinating story - you just couldn't have made it up. I've read some pretty poor autobiographies - I thought Cliff Richard's was pretty dire, and Van Morrison's biography, while interesting , went into excrutiating detail in places.

I'm currently reading 'Arctic Chill' by the Icelandic writer Arnaldur Indridisson.
Thanks for the suggestion of Bermondsey Boy George - I've just looked it up and will be ordering that one ......
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2015, 02:21 PM

Thank you so much Orangutan. The Julie Walters seems to attract me so may buy that one. I like her.
Hope you enjoy it. When I read it I thought it was written very much in her own recognisable style, so I could almost hear her telling the story.
maursey
hertfordshire
maursey is female  maursey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2015, 06:41 PM

Have also just ordered The Tommy Steele Story on my Kindle Fire. Thanks Orangutan. Being a Londoner and was also in the blitz I will be able to relate to what he wrote about.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2015, 07:15 PM

Years ago I was so into reading and thoroughly enjoyed it but haven't come across a decent book that appeals to me for ages. I have The Kindle Fire and have downloaded books but they have never come up to my expectations.
Years ago I was in to love books but now I like autobiography or a good love book with an interesting story.
I'm into reading as I am finding TV often boring these days - or insulting.

I can't offer any suggestions because what I like you probably will not like at all and I buy books.

May I suggest that perhaps you go to a Charity Shop, pick up something you'd never normally read and give that a go?

I'll read all sorts from fiction to history books, scientific books to stuff like the excellent Douglas Adams but not autobiographies or "love books" stevmk2
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2015, 07:26 PM

Have also just ordered The Tommy Steele Story on my Kindle Fire. Thanks Orangutan. Being a Londoner and was also in the blitz I will be able to relate to what he wrote about.
What part of London were you Maursey ?
Gabi
Lancs,.
Gabi is female  Gabi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2015, 07:52 PM

If you like a trilogy and reading about the hardships of the miners then I would recommend these by Janet Macleod Trotter

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_...y+hills+Kindle

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top