Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2018, 10:44 PM

Re: Tips for cold weather

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Thank you all for the helpful suggestions although I don't have an outside tap, fish, below snow or ripped jeans .

I have bought a camping stove this morning in case the electricity goes off, there is no gas out in the countryside.
I have a camping ring but haven't used it for many year and it look a bit rusty and unsafe.

I can now fill a hot water bottle if needed and have all kinds of delights cooked on my ring (in the garage with the door open) Once when the power was off for 4 days we had porridge, stew and dumplings and drop scones with jam and many other tasty things cooked on one ring.
Well done Meg. Been there, done that. Isn't it amazing how tasty food is even though cooked on one ring. Baked Bean Butties, Soups, anything chucked into a small frying pan, water boiled for coffee. When it is the only means of heating up food when there is no electricity in freezing weather, it is an absolute godsend. So well done on pre-planning.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2018, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by Nicol ->
Good tip here....don't forget to have a wee before you take your dog out for an hour in sub zero temperatures

Haha Nicol, yes, it might also stop you weeing yourself if you slide and fall on the ice.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2018, 11:10 PM

Thank you all for the helpful suggestions although I don't have an outside tap, fish, below snow or ripped jeans .

I have bought a camping stove this morning in case the electricity goes off, there is no gas out in the countryside.
I have a camping ring but haven't used it for many year and it look a bit rusty and unsafe.

I can now fill a hot water bottle if needed and have all kinds of delights cooked on my ring (in the garage with the door open) Once when the power was off for 4 days we had porridge, stew and dumplings and drop scones with jam and many other tasty things cooked on one ring.

You are so organised Meg. you'd have been a very good boy scout.

Bear Grylls, look out, you have competition!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2018, 11:20 PM

This evening I had to take our wheelie bins down (11 steps) to the pavement. As soon as I stepped out of the door, I realised that the thin covering of snow (not the 8" as advertised!) had frozen and was slippery.
Fortunately, I remembered that I have a pair of rubber under-shoe attachments with metal studs, so I put them on.
They are really good and, even when I tried to skid (carefully) they gripped the surface firmly.
I hadn't used them for some time, but they are not expensive and can be a godsend.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2018, 11:48 PM

Woman after my own heart Meg

Candles and matches have been found and put to reach. Gas ring and canisters have been found and are ready for use. Flasks are washed and my old enamel pots have been liberated from the shed as they are great for cooking on the top of the stove with

We haven't seen much snow yet and I don't think we are going to get it too bad. But theres a storm on its way as well and its the power going thats the worry here We went 7 days without electric a few years back which was very miserable once the novelty wore off
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2018, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
This evening I had to take our wheelie bins down (11 steps) to the pavement. As soon as I stepped out of the door, I realised that the thin covering of snow (not the 8" as advertised!) had frozen and was slippery.
Fortunately, I remembered that I have a pair of rubber under-shoe attachments with metal studs, so I put them on.
They are really good and, even when I tried to skid (carefully) they gripped the surface firmly.
I hadn't used them for some time, but they are not expensive and can be a godsend.
That made me laugh JBR.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2018, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
That made me laugh JBR.
No, I was serious. I was trying them out to be sure that they wouldn't slip!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2018, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
No, I was serious. I was trying them out to be sure that they wouldn't slip!
I just had this vision of you sliding around the house and Marge telling you to stop it or you'll hurt yourself.

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

28-02-2018, 11:37 AM

I just had this vision of you sliding around the house and Marge telling you to stop it or you'll hurt yourself.

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

I don't need them in the house!
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2018, 11:47 AM

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
That WASN'T me this morning

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top