Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Lila
London UK
Lila is female  Lila has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2018, 08:17 AM

Re: Smoke or not?

No.

I didn't even know it was illegal at bus stops. I wonder how far away they are supposed to go.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2018, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by Lila ->
No.

I didn't even know it was illegal at bus stops. I wonder how far away they are supposed to go.
Perhaps not illegal, I misspoke, but there are signs up at nearly every bus shelter here.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2018, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
Just to be pedantic and because it irks me, the correct way of saying this is fewer and fewer smokers not less and less.

People who smoke at bus stops annoy me - it is against the law yet they persist (some of them, anyway; there still are some considerate smokers).
That is one reason why, even in bad weather, I will not stand in the 'bus shelter - the children from the nearby comprehensive school use it as a smoking den - and it stinks!
Lila
London UK
Lila is female  Lila has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2018, 08:24 AM

I haven't noticed any No Smoking signs in bus shelters round here. There are signs all round the hospitals but still people smoking in hospital grounds, patients and staff and pupils from nearby college.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2018, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
No .. I don't have to put up with anyone else's smoke.
I inhale my own.
Fags are to dear theses days so being an OAP with no money to buy fags I stand next to smokers and get it for free
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2018, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
Just to be pedantic and because it irks me, the correct way of saying this is fewer and fewer smokers not less and less.

People who smoke at bus stops annoy me - it is against the law yet they persist (some of them, anyway; there still are some considerate smokers).
How can it be against the Law?

Don't think any Law of the Land can take you to court for smoking anywere and fine you
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2018, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by wild blueberry ->
There is less and less people smoking these days, which is great, but the trouble is that a lot of smokers have absolutely no consideration for anybody.

In the last few days I have seen two different people standing in doorways, smoking......... they seem to think, that means they are outdoors, but in each case they were actually blowing their smoke back in through the open doorways.

It's nice to be able to go to a restaurant or pub and not have to put up with anyone's smoke.

Given that the vast majority of smokers never showed the slightest consideration for non smokers' feelings in the past, now the shoe is on the other foot I'm not really too bothered about the comfort of smokers.

They have the same options we had, put up with it or don't go to the restaurant or pub.

I know a lady up the street, whose husband still smokes......he is in and out of that house, lighing up....and she is at the door bugging him to come back in....

Do you have to put up with anyone's smoke? Or do you still smoke and how do you handle that in your home. Do you smoke outside?
My husband and I have never smoked, nor did our parents. I am so glad our children have never smoked, nor have the married ones partners. No one is permitted to smoke in our home, fortunately none of the people who visit us smoke either.
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2018, 09:19 AM

I tried a few cigarettes as a teenager, but didn't like it, so to all intents & purposes I'm a non smoker

The last time anyone in my circle of friends, family, and acquaintances smoked must have been over 30 years ago, and then only one or two. In fact I don't think I know anyone who smokes now

As you probably know, the numbers of people who smoke has been falling consistently for years. You might also know that there is a pattern related directly to social class.
Smoking is very low among professional/educated/white collar/middle classes, and is highest in bands D & E

What's the overall rate of smoking now - 20%? or less?
I think it's unusual now to see people smoking. I remember when the smoking ban in pubs was introduced, and there would be quite a gaggle of people outside or in the smoking area. now I only see 2 or 3 at the most
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2018, 10:42 AM

As an ex smoker I have a real problem inhaling other people's smoke. I get so jealous, I want one for myself. I don't think that feeling will ever leave me.
Lila
London UK

01-03-2018, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by galty ->
How can it be against the Law?

Don't think any Law of the Land can take you to court for smoking anywere and fine you

http://www.smokefreeengland.co.uk/fi...new_sf_law.pdf

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top