Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2018, 11:11 AM

Re: Smoke or not?

I am pleased to say that the tobacco addiction in Australia is now down to less than 15% of the population because of tough anti smoking legislation carried out by both the state and federal government. Including hiding cigarette packets from public view and plain packaging legislation. The current level of smoking in this country shows that it works.

The following is a cut and paste from the NSW Government Website

Smoking is banned in all enclosed public places and certain outdoor public areas, under the Smoke-free Environment Act 2000and the Smoke-free Environment Regulation 2016. These bans protect people from harmful second-hand tobacco smoke. There is no safe level of exposure to second-hand smoke.

Enclosed public places

The Smoke-free Environment Act 2000 bans smoking in all enclosed public places for example shopping centres, cinemas, libraries, trains and buses.

Outdoor public places

The Act also bans smoking in the following outdoor public places:
  • Within 10 metres of children’s play equipment in outdoor public places
  • Public swimming pools
  • Spectator areas at sports grounds or other recreational areas used for organised sporting events
  • Public transport stops and platforms, including ferry wharves and taxi ranks
  • Within 4 metres of a pedestrian access point to a public building
  • Commercial outdoor dining areas

Smoking bans in these outdoor public areas have been have made because:
  • they are often visited by children and families and they can be crowded
  • they allow limited opportunity for people to avoid second hand smoke
  • this approach will achieve an important reduction in many people’s exposure to second hand smoke
  • this approach will create a more supportive environment for those who have quit.

Display of ‘No smoking’ signs

Owners and occupiers of the following outdoor public places must ensure that adequate ‘No smoking’ signs are displayed in:
  • swimming pool complexes (indoor and outdoor areas)
  • light rail, railway platforms and ferry wharves
  • commercial outdoor dining areas.

Smoking in cars with children

Smoking in cars with a child under the age of 16 years in the vehicle is an offence under the Act. NSW Police enforce this ban.​​​​​

It is awful travelling abroad to places with less draconian laws.
oldfool
london
oldfool is male  oldfool has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2018, 11:18 AM

great topic - I think this is going to be a game changer now it has been highlighted. what business is going to workers in door ways puffing away and like you say blowing fumes at others.

I see big changes are coming and smokers now not only have to deal with going out in cold to smoke but now wont be able to stand near a business door way ?

great topic btw.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2018, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
Perhaps not illegal, I misspoke, but there are signs up at nearly every bus shelter here.
It's not illegal. ..... unless ... the bus stop has an overhanging roof offering shelter as some do.
It does not need to be enclosed by four walls. The roof, even wall-less, is considered as making it an enclosed public space.

A smoker can still stand to one side of the roof, just not under it.

I know this because a public spirited person told me.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2018, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by zuludog ->
As you probably know, the numbers of people who smoke has been falling consistently for years. You might also know that there is a pattern related directly to social class.Smoking is very low among professional/educated/white collar/middle classes, and is highest in bands D & E
That must be true I've often stashed the bog brush back in it's holder after scrubbing a loo and nipped outside for a fag.
Is that band F ?
Managing Director sometimes gave me a nod and a wink when he was out there too.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2018, 02:17 PM

I've never smoked, more luck than good management as they made me feel sick. So glad they did now though.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England

01-03-2018, 02:19 PM

I've got to say some non-smokers crack me up ..

Not all non-smokers. It's been fairly well established beyond doubt that smoking is unhealthy, including passive smoking and it's detrimental effects ... a great many smokers agree even though they suffer or suffered the self inflicted addiction.

The ones that crack me up are the critics who fly on planes, who drive cars and generally pollute the atmosphere too but seem to forget their own portion of blame whilst waxing enthusiastically over how nice it is to have a 'smoke free' world without cigarette smoke.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England

01-03-2018, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by summer ->
I've never smoked, more luck than good management as they made me feel sick. So glad they did now though.
That was a lucky ... and a good thing.
Cigarettes are an acquired taste. Every smoker will tell you they tasted horrid at first ... I just preserved through the pain barrier and look at me. I have an industrial chimney stack on my head.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2018, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
Cigarettes are an acquired taste. Every smoker will tell you they tasted horrid at first ... I just preserved through the pain barrier and look at me. I have an industrial chimney stack on my head.
When you have a ciggie I probably have a biscuit Morty... that's not good either, nothing in life that is pleasurable is good for you it seems.... well almost
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2018, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by wild blueberry ->
There is less and less people smoking these days, which is great, but the trouble is that a lot of smokers have absolutely no consideration for anybody.

In the last few days I have seen two different people standing in doorways, smoking......... they seem to think, that means they are outdoors, but in each case they were actually blowing their smoke back in through the open doorways.

It's nice to be able to go to a restaurant or pub and not have to put up with anyone's smoke.

Given that the vast majority of smokers never showed the slightest consideration for non smokers' feelings in the past, now the shoe is on the other foot I'm not really too bothered about the comfort of smokers.

They have the same options we had, put up with it or don't go to the restaurant or pub.

I know a lady up the street, whose husband still smokes......he is in and out of that house, lighing up....and she is at the door bugging him to come back in....

Do you have to put up with anyone's smoke? Or do you still smoke and how do you handle that in your home. Do you smoke outside?
Oh dear WB, Previous topics about smoker's have usually ended up in tatters, but as you have posted......//

I think enough bile has been aimed at smokers.

This is not directed at you personally WB, but as an ex-smoker until 22nd December 2013, I have nothing but sympathy for smokers. Now it seems they cannot even stand outside in the doorway in freezing weather without some complaining about the smoke pervading their inner sanctum. What more do non-smokers want from them? obviously a complete ban - but that isn't going to happen.
They have been banned from all indoors, Pubs, Restaurants, Cafes, Transport, Stations, Flights, Airports, Shops, in in most people's homes and all indoor ventures, That's fine, no-one should have smoke inflicted on them in enclosed areas, HWMO loves his pipe but stands outside under the back door shelter in the cold out of consideration to me,but this sort of consideration to non-smokers doesn't satisfy the PC Brigade, When the smoking ban came into affect it was just that, no smoking indoors, anywhere, but now they ban it in the open air in some parks, beaches and other outdoor venues. Talk about wanting your ruddy cake and eat it!!

In case people have forgotten, smoking is not illegal. People
are perfectly entitled to risk their own health as long as they obey the law and stand outside pubs and restaurants and smoke their cigarette, cigar or pipe.
Those who are happy with the law as it is, should be grateful that most smokers respect the law and do as they do, smoke outside. Please leave them alone and pick on someone else! (again, this is not directed at you BW, )
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2018, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
I have some duty free supplies Morti.
Trying to post them through this forum, is proving difficult.
Hold your hands out

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top