Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2018, 01:21 PM

Re: Neighbours and barking dogs

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I'm a bit on the other side of this I've had complaints about mine barking.

Now from my perspective the initial complaint was shortly after our late Mollie died, Betty had to be here alone for first time in her life for three hours a day and according to complainant barked constantly. They reported us to council we had no clue until letter plopped on mat that we had a problem at all.

We solved the problem by initially taking her everywhere with us then got a puppy our Elsie to keep her company.

Next complaint came because apparently Elsie was barking all day everyday. Which puzzled me as I am home all day my husbands here in the evening and we hadn't heard anything

But by now we had a threat to evict us.

So I enlisted all the neighbours to write diaries for us and about four kept really detailed accounts, we then hired equipment to listen for loud noise.

After that we presented the findings to the council and got a repreive.

We've had notes through the door since we know who is complaining the council accidentally sent a letter addressed to them to our address

My dogs actually only bark if we have workmen in, gas man servicing the boiler particularly winds them up and when I come home from work or my husband does, oddly they get excited when Nathan does but don't bark.

Now why I tell you all that is we have a very annoying feud going with the complaining neighbour. If they had just knocked the door before reporting us we could have been put on alert Betty wasn't happy, we aren't monsters we don't want to upset our dogs or our neighbours.

Talking to dog warden and council they all say the amount of barking from our property is normal dog ownership and living in flats it's something we all have to accept.

The fued flares up every time the people live in houses behind us leaves their large Dalmatian cross in the back garden, that barks it's head off for hours but my neighbour insists its us. Luckily the dog warden came round when it was barking so is OK with us.

You may notice I don't mention Jenny our latest sadly she's a bit deaf so doesn't bark hardly at all as she misses most of what's likely to set her off.

Anyway my advice is speak to them and try to offer a helping hand perhaps they aren't even aware it is a problem. Once an official complaint has been made it can escalate and reverberate back for years and years.
I was really surprised that your council allows dogs to be kept in flats. Our council are very strict and the only dogs allowed are guide dogs and other aide dogs. But I suppose councils all have local rules regarding council properties.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2018, 01:46 PM

I have found small dogs do tend to be yappy, but it can be stopped if the owners get to grips with it. I'm a great believer in training your dog and I belong to an Obedience Training/Agility Club that I really enjoy and so does the dog. It's amazing the daft wee tips you can pick up there, things you'd never think of, but you put them to use and they work. But the owners must be prepaired to put in the hours. There's no point in getting a dog then letting it do whatever.
As to the barking I'd certainly have a word about it, sooner rather than later. No need to fall out just a quiet request to have it stopped.
IMO a dog should only bark when there's something to bark about...Like a stranger.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2018, 02:01 PM

Floydy .... the very best of luck.
I could tell you a saga that is so long it would bore everyone to death .. but which ended with me feeling so nervous in my own garden that I wouldn't go in it without carrying a shovel ready to slat a vicious dog and the police calling to investigate alleged death threats.

Try the friendly approach ... try not to start a feud if possible. It can get out of hand before you know it.
It was my experience that convinced me it's owners who make 'bad' vicious dogs, not the dogs themselves.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2018, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Ask your neighbours if you can borrow the dog for one night, and tie it up in your back garden......See how they like it.....
You beat me to it, was going to suggest that myself.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2018, 02:56 PM

Hi, I sympathise with anyone who has to put up with barking dogs that have been left alone. I own two little dogs and I have to admit I dread it when I let them out first thing in the morning at about 8.30am. The first thing they do is race down to the garden and bark at the birds! I hate them doing this as I appreciate it must annoy neighbours, although most of them own dogs themselves. Mind you, it only lasts for a minute because my docker type loud shout of NO! brings them scurrying back toot sweet.
I have tried everything to stop them doing this but nothing seems to work. From talking to them nicely before I open the back door, to wagging my finger at them both, trying to distract them with a ball, to even threatening them with a rolled up newspaper, they are so excited to be out and run down to the trees where all the birds are and that is it! up on their hind legs and barking. But as I say, it's only for a minute as I always supervise them and when I say NO! they know I mean business.
I just wish I knew how to stop them from even doing it.

However, I feel more sorry for the new neighbour's collie dog. She is a nurse and the dog is left on his own all day. He barks continuously and we can hear him through our living room wall. I feel so sorry for him. However, I wouldn't ever complain to the council or anyone else. Life is too short for feuds or bad feelings between neighbours.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2018, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
Yappy dogs really are a pain even for their owners, but you shouldn't be expected to put up with it particularly as you work nights and need your kip.

However, I think it is so important to be able to get on with your neighbours so the personal approach should always be tried first, and I would probably start a conversation with your neighbour asking about the pup generally, saying what a smashing little thing it is but crikey it's vocal for it's size, we can even hear it over here! Then the conversation would develop of course dependent on their reaction, and you would have a clearer idea of their attitude to it and their intentions...
This is it in a nutshell, Barry.
When I next see my neighbour I'll have a chat with him. He's a polite, decent bloke and far too boring and timid to get on the offensive, so we'll see what he says.
My wife's ready to buy a shotgun, but that of course is not the right way forward.

Thanks all, I'll keep you posted
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2018, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
You beat me to it, was going to suggest that myself.
Haha brilliant!
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2018, 04:30 PM

I am of the opinion people who have dogs, which bark all the time, disturbing other people, should have them put down if they cannot shut the things up.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

01-03-2018, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
Buy a recording of an angry rotweiller and play it at full volume every time it yaps.
Should do the trick.
Another great solution, but even in my extensive record collection I don't have any music by rottweiller bands
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2018, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
I am of the opinion people who have dogs, which bark all the time, disturbing other people, should have them put down if they cannot shut the things up.
What about noisy children?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top