Join for free
Page 3 of 58 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 > Last »
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2018, 11:12 AM

Re: Seeing the International Space Station

Originally Posted by Nicol ->
Just to reiterate, it's a single, solid, unblinking, unflashing white light. It has no other lights of any colour or description. The light you see is caused by the sun reflecting off it's solar panels.
Thank you. I'm getting all excited now.
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2018, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Excellent!
DWebb
North East, UK
DWebb is male  DWebb has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2018, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
I can't believe I actually saw the ISS just under 10 minutes ago

It is a lovely clear sky here with sparkling stars and a bright moon. I was in the back garden looking up and not really expecting to see anything but after 5 minutes I was aware of something moving .... and there it was, brighter than the stars and moving faster than I had imagined it would from west to east.

Thank you DW for giving me the opportunity to view this ‘wonder’.
Originally Posted by Realist ->
Thanks for the heads up on this. Had a great view of it flying over, west to east as you said.

Interestingly I saw another satellite, pretty bright about 10 mins before it travelling South to North. Could be anything I guess.
That is Excellent I have seen it quite a few times now but last nights was really nice with the Moon and Jupiter in the sky as well, it also helps it was a nice warm Evening as well of course...

Remember tonight is 10:52pm and again at 00:27am both 5 or 6 minutes so two good chances to see it weather permitting
DWebb
North East, UK
DWebb is male  DWebb has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2018, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Heavenly - literally!

It's a busy place up there, and if you do some minimal internet searching you should be able to find interactive charts for satellite viewing. There's always something to see.

Summer evenings here are often spent looking skyward looking for manmade and natural satellites, meteors, and favorite constellations. It takes at least twenty minutes for eyes to fully adjust.

It's even better when experienced on a beach with your favorite people along.
I think that is something people really miss in the modern World, the chance to look at the sky from a nice dark location without any light pollution. That is certainly true of here in the UK where there are very few dark sky locations. It is a real shame as a dark Moonless sky with the Milky Way on display is one of the true wonders of Nature.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2018, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by DWebb ->
I think that is something people really miss in the modern World, the chance to look at the sky from a nice dark location without any light pollution. That is certainly true of here in the UK where there are very few dark sky locations. It is a real shame as a dark Moonless sky with the Milky Way on display is one of the true wonders of Nature.
I agree.

The best place I ever saw the night sky was in the Maldives where there is no light pollution. I lay back on my sunbed, which was on decking over the Indian Ocean and just looked up. So many more stars than visible from the UK, I could see the Milky Way as clear as anything, plus the sound of waves lapping the beach.

Heaven!
DWebb
North East, UK

21-05-2018, 02:47 PM

I agree.

The best place I ever saw the night sky was in the Maldives where there is no light pollution. I lay back on my sunbed, which was on decking over the Indian Ocean and just looked up. So many more stars than visible from the UK, I could see the Milky Way as clear as anything, plus the sound of waves lapping the beach.

Heaven!
Best skies I saw were in Uluru / Ayres Rock on a totally Moonless night which was just amazing with the Southern Hemisphere Milky Way and on a beach on Fiji where the sky was all reflected into the calm sea....
DWebb
North East, UK

21-05-2018, 02:51 PM

I would not get to excited mind or it might be a let down
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

21-05-2018, 03:11 PM

Best skies I saw were in Uluru / Ayres Rock on a totally Moonless night which was just amazing with the Southern Hemisphere Milky Way and on a beach on Fiji where the sky was all reflected into the calm sea....
Yes, it must be interesting to see the southern skies. Add a bit of water and it's heaven.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2018, 04:30 PM

I will be on the lookout again tonight, going to drag Mr Mags out to see it this time
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2018, 09:05 PM

Fantastic! I am sure it was wonderful to see the skies of the Southern Hemisphere.

The best place with the best "seeing" and transparency I've ever seen were atop Mauna Kea. Happily heading there next week.

Right now it's only affected by the eruption of Mauna Kea, which you can see in this video. The ash plume starts at about 4:16, just to the left of the cinder cone.

Page 3 of 58 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top