Join for free
Page 8 of 8 « First < 6 7 8
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2018, 03:40 PM

Re: 76 people overdose in connecticut today

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
That is the excuse people make for taking ILLEGAL drugs. I have no compassion for people like that or those who drink too much. I make no apology for that whatsoever.
That's because you're solipsistic.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2018, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
That's because you're solipsistic.
Whatever that means.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2018, 03:53 PM

I think that's a big word.

Most folk take a middle road and are hesitant to allocate blame as we all have it rough in life to varying degrees ... but when anyone expresses an extreme view, allowing for no shades of gray .. I just think this.

1) They've had their own rough experiences and it's hardened them beyond compassion. Almost a kind of internalised anger and hate they have to spit out now and then.

2) Or .. they've had it so cushy they look down on anyone who might just have gone off the rails a little at some point in their lifetime.

No middle road.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2018, 05:00 PM

People either reject their upbringing or become just like their parents. There are different stages of development and some get stuck in one and literally parrot their parents' opinions.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2018, 05:06 PM

Yes ... that sounds feasible.
I have to say I always struggle a bit on any threads where parents are mentioned because even as a kid I just saw my parents as 'big people, taller than me' ... not perfect, just people who struggled along through life with their vulnerabilities and strengths and weaknesses. I thought of my mum as a big sister.
Yeh I know that must sound weird.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2018, 05:18 PM

Not weird must have been nice.

I have 2 friends who parrot their fathers views. They also talk of their childhood as if everything that happened to them was the right thing including beatings desertion etc. One hates her mother and both hero worship their fathers. They are both very black and white thinkers and have no tolerance for weakness.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England

18-08-2018, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Not weird must have been nice.

I have 2 friends who parrot their fathers views. They also talk of their childhood as if everything that happened to them was the right thing including beatings desertion etc. One hates her mother and both hero worship their fathers. They are both very black and white thinkers and have no tolerance for weakness.
Some of the best days of my life Annie even though dad left us (died) when I was 9. My only regret .. I only knew him as a child sees an adult and never knew him as an equal, as an adult to adult. I probably hold something of an idolised perspective of him.
Now mum .. afterwards she became my big sister which is why I probably took no notice of her and became a bit of a naughty teenager and gave her a hard time.

Oops .. that should have been an ashamed smiley
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

19-08-2018, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
Some of the best days of my life Annie even though dad left us (died) when I was 9. My only regret .. I only knew him as a child sees an adult and never knew him as an equal, as an adult to adult. I probably hold something of an idolised perspective of him.
Now mum .. afterwards she became my big sister which is why I probably took no notice of her and became a bit of a naughty teenager and gave her a hard time.

Oops .. that should have been an ashamed smiley

It's really tough to lose a parent so young. It's not surprising you reacted in some way but at least you had a good relationship.

Talking to friends, I've realised it's so rare to have a perfect upbringing. People who I thought had the perfect childhood have told me of what went on behind closed doors and I don't know anyone without problems. But on the outside you'd never have realised. Most of us spend our lives getting over our childhood traumas without realising.

Page 8 of 8 « First < 6 7 8

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top