Join for free
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2018, 04:55 PM

Delicious Breakfast or Brunch Chickpea Tortilla's

Hi everyone. Went to my SIL (Vegetarian) for brunch today. I absolutely loved this breakfast burritos she made. I had to stop myself eating more than two by offering to wash up. It was absolutely delicious, and this is from an avid meateater. If I could just persuade HWMO to eat this for breakfast instead of Sausage, Egg or Bacon, Unfortunately, he will always be one of those dinosoars who insist on a lettuce leaf and a slice of tomato being the absolute most as a side dish with his chips. I would happily serve this up 2 or three times a week! I don’t know how they do it, but Vegetarians and Vegans always seem to have a really clever knack of combining just the right ingredients to end up with such a yummy flavour.

As usual, any new dish she offers up, I insist the recipe goes into my tatty, dog-eared recipe folder for future use. (when she comes for brunch or lunch). They have been lifesavers for this non-vegetarian/vegan. Truth though, I don't usually have Avacado's, Limes or Jalapeno chilli's in my cupboard or fridge. plenty of the other ingredients though.

Please do try this one at least once. Hopefully you will agree.

INGREDIENTS

1 small clove of garlic
½ red onion
1 large tomato, diced small
½ green jalapeno chilli, finely chopped
Salt and black pepper
2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil (she just used olive oil from Aldi)
4 large corn of flour vegan tortillas
½ x quantity easy scrambled chickpeas, warmed (10 minute recipe to make this, is below)
1 large Avocado, halved and sliced
Large handful corriander sprigs
2 Limes, halved.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
To make the easy Scrambled Warmed Chickpeas first..

1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon tumeric
Salt and black pepper to taste
2 x 400g chickpeas, drained and liquid (aquafaba) reserved
1 tablespoon olive oil
Small handful flat-leaf parsley, roughly chopped.

Put the paprika, turmeric and a pinch of salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add enough of the reserved chickpea liquid to make a loose paste.

Add the chickpeas and roughly mash with a fork, ensuring you distribute the spices evenly.

Fold through about 125ml of the reserved chickpea liquid to make the mixture nice and moist. Add more if you wish.

Heat the olive oil in a large, non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. Add the chickpea mixture and cook, stirring often, until golden in colour. (about 6 - 8 mins) Fold through the parsley and its ready to serve.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

METHOD

Finely grate the garlic and onion into a medium bowl. Add the tomato, jalapeno, a good pinch of salt and black pepper and the olive oil. Stir until combined and set aside.

Warm the tortillas as per the packet and lay them out side by side on a clean work surface.
Pop a quarter of the scrambled chickpeas onto one quarter of each tortilla.

Top with a couple of slices of Avacado, followed by a spoonful of the tomato mixture and a few sprigs of corriander.

Fold the tortillas in half, then half again and serve whilst still warm with halved limes squeezed over.

Enjoy!

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	julies.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	7829  

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top