Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2018, 07:24 PM

You Can’t Beat A Nice Homemade Pastie!

I am sure most of you know how to make pasties but l thought you might like to read how I make mine!

Whenever, l cook roast beef, l always keep some to make pasties.
I make shortcrust pastry, cut into shape using a small side plate.
I either mince the beef or cut into small pieces. I boil some diced potato, carrots and swede. I also add left over vegetables, like peas or runner beans, if l have those too.
I put everything into a bowl, l chop a raw onion very finely by hand or in my mini chopper. I season and sprinkle a beef Oxo over the meat and vegetables that l have left a small bit of vegetable water in, so it’s not dry.
I spoon the mixture onto the pastry rounds that l have dampened at the edges. I fold the pastry over to seal the mixture in, prick the pastry and brush with beaten egg.
I cook at approx 180c until golden brown. At half way, l brush them again with the beaten egg.

They are so tasty and cheap as chips!
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2018, 08:38 PM

Re: You Can’t Beat A Nice Homemade Pastie!

Oh God, everyone loves a pasty don't they??? Stop it already.

#WantOneNow
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2018, 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Oh God, everyone loves a pasty don't they??? Stop it already.

#WantOneNow
Realist, l thought you might think that pasties were a bad food, so l was delighted to see your response.

I bet the ones you make are delicious and would go great with a few slices of your crusty bread!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2018, 12:47 AM

Cor, your recipe sounds smashing Art.

You can send me some for the freezer if you have some spare.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2018, 12:48 AM

I want a picture, please .....
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2018, 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by Omah ->

Good idea.

Art, do you seal them along the top or the side?
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

29-11-2018, 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Cor, your recipe sounds smashing Art.

You can send me some for the freezer if you have some spare.
Mups, l made some last week but they are now in my fat tum tum!
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

29-11-2018, 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
Omah, Yes, l should have taken a pic last week when l made them but l didn’t know l was going to start this thread until today!

It’s the beaten egg brushed on them that makes them look so nice! I will take a pic the next time.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

29-11-2018, 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Good idea.

Art, do you seal them along the top or the side?
Mups, It depends if l put the mixture in the middle or near the side as to how l fold them. It’s usually at the side.

I think it’s using the finely cut raw onion that gives them the lovely flavour. I have a Kenwood mini chopper that is great for quickly chopping onions and carrots etc.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2018, 09:39 AM

Yes. I thought the raw onion was a nice touch.

There's a shop near us that sells the most delicious lamb samosas, and you can see little bits of onion in the spicy minced lamb like it was added much later rather than at the beginning. I'm going to try it with my minced chuck steak ... I have portions of this in the freezer to be served as different dishes ... beans & Tabasco (Sth American), pasta & Parmesan (Italian), mash & whatever (Brit cottage pie).

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top