Join for free
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-12-2018, 02:37 PM

Chestnuts roasting

Anyone roasting their own chestnuts this year?

I used to love the smell of those mobile chestnut burner things you used to see on street corners but I haven't seen one for years now.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-12-2018, 02:43 PM

Re: Chestnuts roasting

I love chestnuts and eat a lot of them . I have a bowl full awaiting cooking as we speak.

I don't have an open fire or a cooker with radiant rings so for speed cook mine in the microwave first cutting a slit in them and placing them in a pyrex dish.
I cook them on high for just a few seconds (15-30) if varies according to how many I am cooking but I watch until a wisp of steam appears then they are done. Peel and eat with a smidgeon of salt.

There are chestnut sellers with braziers at the Victorian Market in Worcester at least there were when I last went a couple of year ago,
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-12-2018, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I love chestnuts and eat a lot of them . I have a bowl full awaiting cooking as we speak.

I don't have an open fire or a cooker with radiant rings so for speed cook mine in the microwave first cutting a slit in them and placing them in a pyrex dish.
I cook them on high for just a few seconds (15-30) if varies according to how many I am cooking but I watch until a wisp of steam appears then they are done. Peel and eat with a smidgeon of salt.

There are chestnut sellers with braziers at the Victorian Market in Worcester at least there were when I last went a couple of year ago,
That sounds lovely Meg. Where do you buy them? Can you get them in supermarkets or green grocers? I might do some after Christmas - don't have a microwave but could BBQ them. Yum!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-12-2018, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
That sounds lovely Meg. Where do you buy them? Can you get them in supermarkets or green grocers? I might do some after Christmas - don't have a microwave but could BBQ them. Yum!
Hi LD I find the quality varies considerably. I bought some Chinese grown ones from the geengrocers and they were horrid and all withered inside.

The current lot are from Waitrose and lovely. Choose ones that are hard when pressed and 'heavy' which denotes they won't be shrivelled inside.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-12-2018, 03:30 PM

Sainsbury's sell chestnuts in the (veg) nut section.

The last roast chestnuts I had were from a brazier in London a good few years ago, they had a taste all of their own.

I might try some Meg's way in the microwave, never thought of cooking them that way.

Thanks for the tip, Meg!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-12-2018, 03:56 PM

Most nuts I love but chestnuts roasted or raw bleugh nasty things.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

24-12-2018, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Hi LD I find the quality varies considerably. I bought some Chinese grown ones from the geengrocers and they were horrid and all withered inside.

The current lot are from Waitrose and lovely. Choose ones that are hard when pressed and 'heavy' which denotes they won't be shrivelled inside.
Originally Posted by Mags ->
Sainsbury's sell chestnuts in the (veg) nut section.

The last roast chestnuts I had were from a brazier in London a good few years ago, they had a taste all of their own.

I might try some Meg's way in the microwave, never thought of cooking them that way.

Thanks for the tip, Meg!
Thanks

I bet they are not cheap any more.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-12-2018, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Thanks

I bet they are not cheap any more.
Sainburys have been selling them in packets this year ....

https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/shop/gb...chestnuts-400g
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

25-12-2018, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Sainburys have been selling them in packets this year ....

https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/shop/gb...chestnuts-400g
That's not too bad. A little treat for the new year I think.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top