Join for free
Page 3 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2018, 12:01 AM

Re: Plastic Bags go up to 10p

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
Yes, useful. But many/most plastics used to make things are more dense that water so won't pollute the ocean surfaces or choke wild life.

That said, I don't think we should discard them willy nilly. If they can be recycled, they ought to be.
Good point.

Even plastic bags and those things that hold beer cans together (whatever they are they called), if melted into blocks would become more dense and would also sink to the bottom of the sea.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2018, 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Good point.

Even plastic bags and those things that hold beer cans together (whatever they are they called), if melted into blocks would become more dense and would also sink to the bottom of the sea.
You probably know something of my background. Electrical engineering, mostly related to industrial process plants.
Many used recycled materials. Paper, steel, and plastics, and water.

The earliest I recall for plastics was where we put in kit for a plant in Stroud. Lovely drive to get there.

They churned the waste, stuffed it it through an extruder, and ended up with plastic sheet for packaging.

That was in the early seventies. We may be able do it better/more efficiently now
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2018, 01:02 AM

You probably know something of my background. Electrical engineering, mostly related to industrial process plants.
Many used recycled materials. Paper, steel, and plastics, and water.

The earliest I recall for plastics was where we put in kit for a plant in Stroud. Lovely drive to get there.

They churned the waste, stuffed it it through an extruder, and ended up with plastic sheet for packaging.

That was in the early seventies. We may be able do it better/more efficiently now
Good. As I said, plastics are very useful materials.

They make good bags too!
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2018, 01:42 AM

Yes, useful. But many/most plastics used to make things are more dense that water so won't pollute the ocean surfaces or choke wild life.

That said, I don't think we should discard them willy nilly. If they can be recycled, they ought to be.
What sort of thing would you describe as dense plastic ?
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2018, 09:42 AM

I think charging for plastic bags is a good move....it made us all more aware of the problem and most people take their own bags now....also I've noticed not so much plastic hanging from trees especially around supermarkets...ok so it's a drop in the ocean but every little helps.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2018, 10:40 AM

Years ago every supermarket had an area at the front of the store full of cardboard boxes, we all used them as they fitted in a car boot or tied to back of a bicycle fairly well, never see that any more.

We try to repurpose and reuse stuff have been doing it since the 80s, I'd like to see kids taught some of those things so it becomes part of their lives too. Not everything has to be melted down to reuse it.

I used to bulk buy things like fabric conditioner and shampoo etc too but I rarely see any 5 litre containers for sale these days and they were easy to reuse and you didn't end up with a bin full of smaller bottles.

Why can't we pay a little more for glass instead of plastic ? many liquids could be dispensed into glass probably better than plastic.

How about refillable stations in supermarkets for some things too, almost any liquid could be on tap reuse the initial bottle you bought. I used to go to a shop where we scooped out of freezers vegetables etc into our own bags. and another had huge tubs of dry goods and dog foods you dispensed into your own bag. I had pretty cotton bags I made to pick up these things easily washed ready for next use.

I'm told black food plastics can't be recycled well why make them black ? take the colour out and they can easily be recycled too.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

28-12-2018, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
What sort of thing would you describe as dense plastic ?
I believe that any plastic, if melted into a block, will be dense enough to sink to the bottom of the sea.

Quite apart from that, plastics can be recycled and reused.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2018, 12:11 PM

I always reused plastic carrier bags to line the kitchen bin but now that I rarely get them, I have to buy a roll of bin liners instead. There's no getting away from the fact that we will never be plastic free, it is far too useful. Obviously we need to stop it ending up in the sea but charging 10p will not achieve that. Even the weekly recycling requires certain things like electrical goods to be wrapped in a plastic bag and things like nappies need to be double wrapped in a plastic bag. So, it can't be recycled but it goes with the recycling???

I'm sure most councils couldn't really give a stuff about recycling and just go through the motions, doing as little as they can get away with.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2018, 12:14 PM

I have to admit since they stopped giving them out free I use bin liners too and they are surely just as bad as carriers as single use plastics.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2018, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I have to admit since they stopped giving them out free I use bin liners too and they are surely just as bad as carriers as single use plastics.
I would think so, I mean I am no plastics expert, so I don't know if they break down easier than a carrier or not.

Page 3 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top