Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2019, 08:36 PM

Re: Plastics into bricks

Originally Posted by summer ->
They don't have to look any different from traditional builds... the problem is that innovation often goes hand in hand with innovative design and architects have a field day proving this is different.... its doesn't have to be like that though. Solar roof tiles look much the same as regular ones.
I don't mind solar panels too much. I suppose I am more of a traditionalist when it comes to buildings. Completely different to when I was young.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2019, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I am no expert on it but I also wonder if they can 'breath' like normal bricks. Condensation could be a problem.

That's exactly what I thought too, Dongle.

You imagine cooking, showering, bathing, even boiling the kettle, let alone outside damp weather, I would have thought you'd never get rid of the condensation if the building can't 'breathe.'
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2019, 11:16 PM

Could the plastic be mixed with something to make it stronger and more porous. Concrete by itself would not make very good building material, but add some steel framework and a plasticiser and it becomes one of the strongest and most preferred of all building materials.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2019, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Could the plastic be mixed with something to make it stronger and more porous. Concrete by itself would not make very good building material, but add some steel framework and a plasticiser and it becomes one of the strongest and most preferred of all building materials.
I wonder...

English bond with alternate bricks made of plastic?
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2019, 12:01 AM

Could the plastic be mixed with something to make it stronger and more porous.
Probably so. There was an article, maybe even on here, about roads being made from plastic waste. Finegood. Except it was 5% plastic and the rest traditional road material.

But why let facts get in the way of a good news story.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2019, 03:17 PM

Just another question for those who know , what does happen to all the recycled plastic waste here in the UK .
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2019, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
Just another question for those who know , what does happen to all the recycled plastic waste here in the UK .
We ship it off to China Susan.....
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2019, 06:31 PM

We ship it off to China Susan.....
Funny how they seem able to deal with it, yet we can't!
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2019, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Funny how they seem able to deal with it, yet we can't!
They burn it releasing toxic fumes.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

08-01-2019, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
They burn it releasing toxic fumes.
Yet we send our plastics to them.

Would it make any difference who burns it, if it's a world-wide problem?

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top