Join for free
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2019, 05:17 PM

Madeira New Year Fireworks

It was my privilege once again this year to witness the enormous and visually stunning New Year Madeira fireworks display. In previous years it was in the Guinness Book of Records as the World's largest display.

This year 174,000 fireworks were launched, with nine tonnes of explosives being used.

You can watch the whole 8-10min display here.

Every time I see this I an reminded of the opening sequence to the great Sci-Fi classic Bladerunner where everything starts dark and silent and then suddenly there are vast plumes of flame and light.

The shots are taken from a high vantage point on the left side of the island looking down into the bay.

I was standing on my cabin balcony in one of the two prime cruise ship berths which you can occasionally see in the bottom right corner of the shots.

The main ship you can see moored in the bay pointing away from the island was the Cunard Queen Victoria. They were unfortunate not to have one of the 2 primary berths.

In total there were 10 ships present to see the fireworks but most were moored out on the bay.

Enjoy

https://www.madeira-web.com/en/news/...2018-2019.html

Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2019, 04:38 PM

Re: Madeira New Year Fireworks

Stunning! I've heard a lot about those fireworks!

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top