Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2019, 01:00 AM

Re: Winter Tyres

I always put proper winter tires on my car and it handles really well. I’ve got low profile tires so the ride isn’t as smooth and I use more gas
marmaduke
uk ( Cheshire)
marmaduke is male  marmaduke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2019, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I only asked because I have always wondered why we don't use tyres like that here - all year. Even brand new tyres here always seem a bit too smooth to me. I'm sure they were chunkier years ago.
As I understand it with summer /winter tyres it isn’t just a case of chunkier tyres giving grip ..obviously big knobbly tyres afford more grip off-road but that’s exactly that ... off-road .

On road ( tarmac ) then actually a smooth tyre affords more grip hence racing tyres ( sliks ) have no trad pattern ( and then you are into tyre temperatures etc and it starts becoming rather technical ) but basic rule of thumb to keep it simple is all being equal on road that a bald tyre will give more grip than a chunky off road tyre and the opposite obviously if driving on snow hence the chunkier winter tyre option but to run them all year round is something a ‘true’ winter tyre couldn’t do as ( and we start to now go into tyre technicalities and wear rates : compounds) true winter tyres are made to warm up quicker ( this is done by both a softer compound and the grooves , cuts rubbing together as you drive making heat , the larger tread pattern giving both grip to the snow and allowing clearance through the larger grooves hence the tyres we call all year round normal tyres have smaller tread grooves as we want ‘as much rubber as possible ( a slick tyre) in contact ... but we get rain and indeed only one in 20 in the uk actually change to winter tyres so our ‘summer sliks ‘ have tread patterns to take this into account .
To run a true winter tyre all year long wouldn’t be possible as the tyre wants to run hot and relys upon the water/snow to cool it ... the grip to attack the snow etc , run a winter tyre on a warm dry day and it wouldn’t last long at all and indeed the grip level would be far inferior to the summer tyre you had replaced

https://youtu.be/SQTunQ4j_bQ
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2019, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by marmaduke ->
As I understand it with summer /winter tyres it isn’t just a case of chunkier tyres giving grip ..obviously big knobbly tyres afford more grip off-road but that’s exactly that ... off-road .

On road ( tarmac ) then actually a smooth tyre affords more grip hence racing tyres ( sliks ) have no trad pattern ( and then you are into tyre temperatures etc and it starts becoming rather technical ) but basic rule of thumb to keep it simple is all being equal on road that a bald tyre will give more grip than a chunky off road tyre and the opposite obviously if driving on snow hence the chunkier winter tyre option but to run them all year round is something a ‘true’ winter tyre couldn’t do as ( and we start to now go into tyre technicalities and wear rates : compounds) true winter tyres are made to warm up quicker ( this is done by both a softer compound and the grooves , cuts rubbing together as you drive making heat , the larger tread pattern giving both grip to the snow and allowing clearance through the larger grooves hence the tyres we call all year round normal tyres have smaller tread grooves as we want ‘as much rubber as possible ( a slick tyre) in contact ... but we get rain and indeed only one in 20 in the uk actually change to winter tyres so our ‘summer sliks ‘ have tread patterns to take this into account .
To run a true winter tyre all year long wouldn’t be possible as the tyre wants to run hot and relys upon the water/snow to cool it ... the grip to attack the snow etc , run a winter tyre on a warm dry day and it wouldn’t last long at all and indeed the grip level would be far inferior to the summer tyre you had replaced

https://youtu.be/SQTunQ4j_bQ

Thanks. Very interesting and a bit technical but I get the gist.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2019, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I must admit when I lived in the UK I always wanted to fit Dunlop Town and Country tyres to my cars but could never justify the expense.

When my brother (from Macclesfield) was visiting he seemed concerned about the tyres in the rain but I have never noticed anything untoward about them in the wet.

Years ago I had a Mitsubishi Starwagon as a family vehicle it was originally fitted with Bridgestone 5 ply car tyres (I think that was right) which, when it came to replace, were very expensive. The tyre dealer suggested truck tyres as they were less than half the price The Starwagon is just an 8 seater van.

The truck tyres were fine but they did have a habit of squealing when cornering and the ride was a bit harder.

That photo was taken when I was getting ready to sell it 17 years after I bought it (new in 1990) when all my kids were independent - quite funny seeing the old rego sticker in the window.
I liked those Bruce. Always fancied getting one but never did.
marmaduke
uk ( Cheshire)
marmaduke is male  marmaduke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2019, 12:01 PM

Or if really bored lol

https://youtu.be/tMhIbGtkTZw

When I used to race,
tyres where possibly my biggest expense and even today be it on my cars or bikes Im still a tyre geek lol but this may explain a little long dogs

https://youtu.be/0XIz6XoXTsw

And funnily enough this video shows my car and why it came with Michelin pilot 3 tyres I’ve just upgraded to Michelin pilot 4S .... they really are the best tyres out there and more than worth the extra cost of having them

https://youtu.be/aMv64liOqIE

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	99A9C094-3BD7-4993-9350-9DDD131DD196.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	8622  
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2019, 05:08 PM

I found that fitting all season tyres was the best of both worlds, gave good grip all year in all weather conditions..
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2019, 09:20 PM

In Switzerland and some other Countries,it is illegal not to have winter tyres in the winter.
You can get fined or go to Jail.

Also these Countries who have lots of snow in winter do not have the problems like the UK has when the first bit of snow falls.
Life goes on as normal
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2019, 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by Azure ->
In Switzerland and some other Countries,it is illegal not to have winter tyres in the winter.
You can get fined or go to Jail.

Also these Countries who have lots of snow in winter do not have the problems like the UK has when the first bit of snow falls.
Life goes on as normal
We don't a law about winter tyres but once above the snow line if there is snow about any 2 wheel drive vehicle must carry chains and there are pull offs at the side of the road for putting them on.

How do you know you are above the snow line? The road markings are yellow

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top