Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2019, 12:23 PM

Another Realspeed weird thought

I was just thinking about how much a human produces in body waste in a life time.
So for example one person produces a ton in a 70 year life span, how much would the UK population produce per year?

Makes one wonder why were are not up to our necks in do do's already
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2019, 12:28 PM

Re: Another Realspeed weird thought

I think they take all of the water out that makes up 80% of the waste, and then use the nitrogen rich solids for plant food, after further treatment I think.....Interesting question though Realspeed.

I do believe that in the past the whole lot was just dumped into the rivers and sea untreated....
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2019, 12:28 PM

Well, hopefully the countries sewage system copes with all of it. We do get some horrid smells from ours sometimes though. It makes a good fertilizer too with treatment.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2019, 12:30 PM

4,620,000,000 tonnes.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2019, 12:38 PM

Blimey what strange thoughts.
I am sure I was told in the past, they had toilet things on allotments, it was moved around and everything grew wonderful.
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2019, 12:41 PM

I've often thought that I do not mind paying my sewerage and water charges one little bit. In fact, I think it's very good value for money, and that we are very lucky to have such a good system.

Fresh drinking water from every tap, and a brilliant flush-away sewerage system for every house, flat and building.

Without that, we would succumb to so many diseases, especially nowadays with such a large population of people living closely crowded together.

I've often wondered what I would do in a catastrophe scenario, if the sewerage system failed nationally. I have a small garden, so an earth closet type of thing might work, but what about all the people in flats?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2019, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
Well, hopefully the countries sewage system copes with all of it. We do get some horrid smells from ours sometimes though. It makes a good fertilizer too with treatment.

Part of an article here from National Geographic:

Turning poop into soil instead of letting it enter the freshwater supply has a direct relationship to public health. Some of Haiti’s toughest challenges include childhood diarrhea and cholera. Kramer said, “Haiti has the highest rate of childhood diarrhea in the entire world. The world. Which means that for children under five, this is a leading cause of sickness. It's actually poop in the water that's making them sick.” Since 2011, Haiti has been battling the world’s largest and most virulent cholera outbreak in recent history. “One in six people in Haiti in the last five years had contracted cholera,” Kramer says. The problem has reached the level it has because of the lack of sanitation.

Most people probably think flush toilets are the solution, but, as Kramer explains, “A toilet without waste treatment is just a way to displace the problem—even if you have a very nice flush toilet in your home. If that water is just being flushed out into a canal near your house, and then washed into the community downstream, yes, you may have provided a certain level of protection to your family. But on the community level, on a public health level, you only displace the problem.”
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2019, 12:46 PM

Another consideration in using human waste is most poo's spread on fields is from grass fed animals - Cattle, sheep, horses, poultry etc.
Humans are meat eaters so the poo would be potentially more dangerous to use.

See here:

"Carnivore faeces has a much higher fat content and will putrify during decomposition........really smell bad. BTW, human vegetarians should also not use their feces in composting.

If you are usig carnivore poop in the compost, make sure to protect yourself when turning the compost, spreading, etc.....and only use it on non edible plants. "
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2019, 12:50 PM

Most human waste in the UK is produced at Prime Minister's Questions.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2019, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by floydy ->
most human waste in the uk is produced at prime minister's questions.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top