Join for free
marmaduke
uk ( Cheshire)
marmaduke is male  marmaduke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2019, 08:52 AM

How does he do that ?!!!!

Yes it’s magic , an illusion ... but what is the science behind it ?

How does he do it ???

https://youtu.be/RntOesioGxQ
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2019, 10:25 AM

Re: How does he do that ?!!!!

No idea...very clever though.
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2019, 11:44 AM

That was brilliant!

Very unusual, too!

It's good to see something different, especially when it's also from another culture.
issi
scotland
issi is female  issi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2019, 01:44 PM

loved that, thank you Marmaduke.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2019, 01:54 PM

Great stuff !
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2019, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by marmaduke ->
Yes it’s magic , an illusion ... but what is the science behind it ?

How does he do it ??
Thanks for bringing this. I'm a big fan of magic and have loved it since a child and now do many magic tricks myself, many of them close up impromptu stuff.

What's important with magicians is not what they are doing, or the secret to what they are doing but HOW THEY PRESENT it.

In this case it's a visual candy fest that is just a delight to watch even though many of the things he is doing are extremely simple.

Since you asked I will highlight just a couple of things he is doing

SPOILER ALERT - Stop reading if you don't want to know how it is done

At 3:57 in the video he makes a white mask vanish and seemingly turn to a few pieces of white ribbon which fall to the floor.

A "Vanish" is an extremely standard piece of magic which uses one of many forms of elasticated string. The string is attached inside the clothing, often inside a jacket, but in this case inside the big wide sleeve he has. The white mask is already attached to the elastic string whilst he is holding it out in front of him and is stretched tight at that point. All he has to do is let go of it and the string will pull the mask very quickly up his sleeve. The pieces of ribbon are already in his hand.

Take another look at this at 3:57 mins in and you will actually see the mask shoot up his sleeve.

Pretty much all magicians use a "Vanish" to make cards or coins or pens or anything else instantly disappear. It's not big, it's not clever, you can buy the elastic strings anywhere.

What matters is HOW YOU PRESENT and this guy has the presentation nailed down in this wonderful Japanese extravaganza.

One more example

At 4:31 minutes in he is doing a trick with 2-3 long red ribbons which he displays and then scrunches up, throws into the air and then turn into shreds.

Here the magician uses another classic technique called "Misdirection".

Take another look at exactly 4:31 min in.

He places all the focus to his outstretched right arm and that's where (most of) the audience looks expecting something to happen there. Note too that the magician also looks at his right hand to add confirmation to that expectation.

This is simple misdirection, we all use this in magic tricks.

So knowing this look again at 4:31 mins in and ignore his right hand and instead look at his left hanging down by his side with the ribbons. You will see the subtle movement where he is loading that hand with the ribbon shreds for the trick finale. Simple but effective.

The masks in the first part of the trick are excellent but obviously just great props like Russian dolls, with 3 or 4 masks in a bunch which he peels off one by one. You already know now where they disappear to, inside his clothing using "vanish" elastic threads.

His clothing/costume is naturally paramount to this trick. It couldn't be done wearing ordinary tight clothing.

All this said my point remains that presentation is paramount. Even though I can see what this man is doing, I would happily sit and be entertained by his expertise and fluid movements in this style than seeing the likes of David Blaine in a pub making a bottle of beer vanish. Same magic techniques used by both, vanishes and misdirection but the Japanese guy presents it brilliantly.
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2019, 03:09 PM

^^^^^^^^^^

SPOILER ALERT!

He'll be telling us there's no Father Christmas next!
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2019, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Pyxell ->
^^^^^^^^^^

SPOILER ALERT!

He'll be telling us there's no Father Christmas next!
Cheers Pyxell, I've added a spoiler alert.
Pyxell
South of England

09-02-2019, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Cheers Pyxell, I've added a spoiler alert.
Oh that's good of you, thanks!

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top