Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2019, 08:29 AM

Re: Should we "Rewild"?

Originally Posted by marmaduke ->
Look out bambi !!!!

With a 1000 years of safety behind them deers are suddenly going to find themselves on the menu again . Quite why we feel the need to reintroduce a predator from so long in our past is only known to the lunatics behind this project but it’s all systems go to keep some small group happy

Wild lynx to be reintroduced to Britain after more than 1,000 years
https://mol.im/a/6705921

The Eurasian lynx, the third largest predator native to Europe after the brown bear and grey wolf, is believed to have been extinct in Britain since 700AD.

But the Lynx UK Trust is set to submit a second licence application this summer to bring the big cats back to Kielder Forest in Northumberland.

The organisation has also selected three forest areas in Scotland for lynx, with an application due in the autumn which could see lynx return to the UK this year.

While supporters of 'rewilding' claim reintroducing the lynx would help to control deer populations and boost tourism, farmers have expressed concerns that lynx could pose a threat to their lambs.
I am not suprised lamb is much easier prey than flighty fast deer.
Speaking of which a deer jumped in front of our car last night -we were able to stop .
Such a beautiful creature a joy to see in the wild.
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2019, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I am not suprised lamb is much easier prey than flighty fast deer.
Speaking of which a deer jumped in front of our car last night -we were able to stop .
Such a beautiful creature a joy to see in the wild.
I hope they continue with the plan to reintroduce Lynx to Kielder Forest in Northumbria , especially as I live quite close.

I'm sure sheep farmers will negotiate a tasty little compensation package for any taken lambs...........Farmers never miss an opportunity to make a soft buck!

Tbh, so much land has been given over to sheep the countryside is pretty boring most of the time.

Re-wilding is far more interesting than barren hills with a few wooly dots on them.

I saw a Barn Owl hunting on a grass banking just outside Clovenfords , nr Galashiels yesterday. Saw another one a couple of weeks ago just by Lauder.

Recently saw an Ermine near the River Teviot at Mounthooley and an Otter on a small shingle tump in the River Tweed opposite Dryburgh Abbey, eating a fish..

I see Buzzards, Kestrels and Sparrowhawks all the time.

The thrill of seeing an apex predator, in the wild, out hunting is second to none.

There are plans to release more Golden Eagles in the Uk, in Wales and Scotland.............hope to see one soon!
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2019, 09:12 PM

I think humans should become extinct and let the wildlife live. The world would be a better place I reckon
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2019, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
I think humans should become extinct and let the wildlife live. The world would be a better place I reckon
wot with hardly any love just the instinct to kill and be killed?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2019, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
wot with hardly any love just the instinct to kill and be killed?

Gummy dear, I'll have you know some creatures, like geese for example pair for life - unlike some humans. AND they don't go around shooting and stabbing their own kind either.

AND most animals only kill to eat or feed their families - again, unlike humans.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2019, 11:52 PM

I bumbly stand corrected !
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2019, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
I bumbly stand corrected !

x
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia

20-02-2019, 12:22 AM

you forced me to dig deeper!

https://m.phys.org/news/2005-09-anim...-emotions.html

no you don't need to kiss me - well go on then! - all part of the impartial gumbud service Ma'am! x
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

20-02-2019, 10:09 AM

All these scientists, after all their research, they just come up with what people who observe, live, or work with animals have known all along.
We've never needed to shut animals in laboratories and experiment on them to understand they have emotions.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top