Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2019, 02:01 PM

Trapped nerve.

After having a stiff neck for a week I started having sharp shooting pains in my neck and later in the side of my skull. I thought a blood vessel in my head was going to burst or something!!

I went to the doctors to be diagnosed with nerve entrapment.
A trapped nerve in my neck It's quite normal for the pains to shoot to the skull said the doctor.

Big relief but still in great pain - the painkillers help but it doesn't seem to be getting any better.

I wondered if anybody else has experienced this?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2019, 02:36 PM

Re: Trapped nerve.

Carol, personally I would forget the painkillers, and go straight to a chiropractor or osteopath.
They should be able to put this right quite easily.

Good luck.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2019, 03:40 PM

^^^ As Mups says Carol. It can heal itself but can also last for months on end so I would start the ball rolling asap.
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2019, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Carol, personally I would forget the painkillers, and go straight to a chiropractor or osteopath.
They should be able to put this right quite easily.

Good luck.
I agree.

They'll probably give you advice on sleeping positions and pillows, too.

Also, some neck problems can be a result of, or contributed by, problems elsewhere in the spinal column, so a chiropractor etc. can sort the whole thing out.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2019, 04:25 PM

The thing is Carol, painkillers might help with the pain, but the problem will still be there and come back. Have you tried Neck exercises?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2019, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by susiejaeger ->
The thing is Carol, painkillers might help with the pain, but the problem will still be there and come back. Have you tried Neck exercises?

I agree, susie. Painkillers are more likely to 'mask' the pain so you think it is better, so then you might over-use the joints and do more damage. They won't remove the cause.

Also, no way would I want to take painkillers long term incase they create different problems.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2019, 07:32 PM

Sounds nasty, Carol, but I agree with the advice from the other posters.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2019, 09:20 PM

I've still got my Frozen Shoulder Carol and the pain is terrible, trying to get an appointment with the Doctor, to see what he suggests, at the moment i'm just taking Paracetamols, but its only relieves the pain for an hour then its back and its not solving the problem.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2019, 09:22 PM

Unfortunately I had a bad experience with a chiropractor last year & now I have no faith in them.

I want to do something to help myself really.
I shall look it up on the internet & see if I can find any help & advice.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

25-02-2019, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by carol ->
Unfortunately I had a bad experience with a chiropractor last year & now I have no faith in them.

I want to do something to help myself really.
I shall look it up on the internet & see if I can find any help & advice.

I remember that, Carol, but surely you can't condemn all practitioners because of one?

Would you not be willing to try a different practice altogether, perhaps go by recommendations next time?

Otherwise, how about treating yourself to a nice deep tissue massage, that will help relax muscle.

One last thought Carol, be careful if you drive as you may not be able to see as well, if it hurts to turn your head.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top