Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2019, 12:31 PM

How cruel!

I heard this banging noise as I walked past the reptile shop yesterday. The door of the shop was open, I saw this poor tortoise in a glass box that was far too small!
It kept banging it's head against the glass
It really upset me. I took some photos.
They are a bit blurred as the poor thing would not stop trying to escape.
I am reporting that place!!!!
It is not right!
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2019, 12:32 PM

Re: How cruel!

Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2019, 12:38 PM

Why don't you ask the RSPCA to investigate?
Dave H
United Kingdom
Dave H is male  Dave H has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2019, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Sweetie pie ->
RSPCA. I think Sweetie
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset

01-03-2019, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Why don't you ask the RSPCA to investigate?
I am reporting that shop.
I tried to speak to the owner, I was told to leave the shop!!!!
I have more pics
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset

01-03-2019, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Dave H ->
RSPCA. I think Sweetie
Yes I am trying to get through!
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2019, 12:42 PM

Contact them pronto Sweetie
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset

01-03-2019, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Rhian ->
Contact them pronto Sweetie
I am trying. How many other places do this?
There is another reptile shop for me to spy on today! I will also go to my local paper on this issue!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2019, 01:13 PM

Good luck SP. I hope you get a good outcome. .
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2019, 01:44 PM

The law changed quite a few years back regarding the sale of tortoises.

By law have to be captive bred now, not taken from the wild, and they have to have Certificates that go with them to prove this. Possibly even microchipped as well, but not sure.

When someone takes on a tortoise, they have to change the paperwork to the new owners name through DEFRA.
Wonder if the pet shop is aware of all this, and where they obtained this tortoise from? That would be interesting to know.
I'd be surprised if you get much joy from the RSPCA!

Personally, I might have been inclined to pretend I was interested in buying it, then you could have asked the right questions, about paperwork, diet, micro chips etc before you went to the RSPCA.

I wonder if he has long been out of hibernation, or whether he was not even allowed to hibernate at all?

My Mum had about 7 tortoises for many years. They lived free out in her garden which was completely private and enclosed safely.
She provided places for them to go at night, and they would instinctively dig themselves away for hibernation. I remember Mum always had to search to find them and make sure they were packed away warm enough to survive winter.

Some years they layed eggs, and she hatched a few in her airing cupboard!
I can't remember all the details now, but she then had to transfer them to a special Vivarium where they stayed for the next two years in a controlled temperature, as they grow so very slowly and could not have gone outside in our climate. The babies are gorgeous and so very tiny.

Check on this pet shop by all means, but I would suggest knowing some facts about them first would be benificial.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top