Join for free
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2019, 06:30 PM

Toxic Plants Harmful to my Little Boys!!

Just had several brick raised beds built in the back garden. I spent most of yesterday online having fun choosing all the bedding plants, plus climbers I intend to plant in them.

Whilst browsing through, I chose climbers such as Jasmine, Honeysuckle, SweetPea, Clematis and Rambling Red, plus lilac and white Lobelia, Allium, Black Eyed Susan, Peoni's and of course my daffodil and tulip bulbs as well as other plants not yet chosen.

Now I knew that plants such as Poppy, Foxglove and Rhododendrum were always toxic to dogs if they digested them, but imagine my horror when browsing through, I spotted an article listing all the plants that are dangerous to dogs! I couldn't believe it. Every single plant that I have chosen, except for just one type of the Clematis family, is toxic to dogs. Even Buttercups, Snowdrops and Daisies !!!

I cannot believe it!! I know my little boys don't usually eat the flowers or plants, (they have been known to trample them though when retrieving a ball), but this is ridiculous. My whole planning gone out the window, I don't know what to plant that is safe now, or is it a fact that these authors of toxic plants for pets are talking more about puppies and kittens rather than grown dogs and cats.

Any advice welcome
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2019, 07:11 PM

Re: Toxic Plants Harmful to my Little Boys!!

Have a look here - list compiled by the Kennel Club

https://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/get...onous-to-dogs/

and I am certain our Mups had a list as well.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2019, 09:32 PM

I grow all sorts of plants, the only ones I won't grow are Euphorbias and Lilies. My pets have never had any problems regarding plants.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2019, 10:01 PM

We also have a big variety every year and no problems either. Are your wee ones guilty of messing around with your plants?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2019, 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Have a look here - list compiled by the Kennel Club

https://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/get...onous-to-dogs/

and I am certain our Mups had a list as well.

You beat me to it Tabs, I too, would have posted the KC list.

Shroppy, I wouldn't worry too much as long as the dogs don't eat them, though I won't have anything with berries on as many of those are toxic if eaten.

My youngest, Gertie, who is 3 in April, was digging in a flower bed and must have felt so excited when she found some 'balls' hidden under the soil.

They were bulbs of course, and she ate most of a Daffodil, then started on her second Hyacinth before I realised what she was up to.
Luckily I knew they were poisonous and took her straight to my vet (out of hours), and they injected her to induce vomitting. They said Hyacinths were more toxic than Daffs even.

I had to wait at the vets and watch her, until she started being sick, and sure enough, there were all the crunched up bits of white bulbs. Thank God they came up alright.

Poor Gertie looked very queasy and sorry for herself for the rest of the night. I slept with her that night, so I could keep an eye on her, and she was back to herself next day thank goodness.
I think it cost me well over £100 for 3 bulbs!!

She still 'collects' leaves and twigs and brings them all in and puts them in her bed. I found a couple of Camellia buds under her mattress last week!

The other dogs have never done that, but it just shows it can happen.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2019, 12:40 AM

Glad your Gertie is Ok
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2019, 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
Glad your Gertie is Ok

Thanks Roxy.

She is a little monkey, and still goes out most mornings collecting her bits and pieces and tucking them in her bed.

Sometimes when she has enough in her bed, she starts cluttering one of the other beds then. Leaves, twigs and any bits of wood.
She also takes my plant labels so I have no idea what colours are where any more until they bloom.

She is always 'gardening.'
Fortunately the others don't join in.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2019, 02:02 PM

We grow things not good for the dogs but we do it behind chicken wire panels or where they aren't allowed to go off lead, so round the front of the garden. We taught them not to eat stuff then it all went wrong when we started growing strawberries and Elsie decided they were too yummy to resist and that set her off pulling off bits and pieces looking for something as nice as strawberries.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

06-03-2019, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
We grow things not good for the dogs but we do it behind chicken wire panels or where they aren't allowed to go off lead, so round the front of the garden. We taught them not to eat stuff then it all went wrong when we started growing strawberries and Elsie decided they were too yummy to resist and that set her off pulling off bits and pieces looking for something as nice as strawberries.

My Nellie is a strawberry thief as well Julie.
I put nets over them as they begin to ripen, else she pinches them all. Then a couple of years ago, I was looking out my kitchen window and caught her with her bum in the air, tunneling under the nets!

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top