Join for free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2019, 02:01 PM

Cashless societyl

I see that the banking industry is predicting that cash will disappear from UK society by 2026. This appears to be due to the wishes of the banks alone,and does not seem to be open for discussion generally.There may be certain benifits for both consumers& banks but there are also great dangers that go along with this policy that could threaten the general pIopulace if the banks get their way.I assume that once cash has been abolished people will be issued with credit or debit cards to use instead, this will then put everybody at the mercy of the banks or governments,as they will then have the ability to switch the money supply off or on at will,giving them great power to manipulate the populace in various ways.A further problem would be that people on lower incomes would only have a credit card and thus would always be in debt.there could also be problems if ever universal income were ever introduced,but that is another debate.l don't like the sound of these predictions myself can anyone think of any other consequences from this policy? Donkeyman.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2019, 02:06 PM

Re: Cashless societyl

Very rarely deal in cash myself only cash I tend to use is to give daughter her dinner money and her pocket money. My husbands work they are rapidly making all vending machines card machines instead of cash which is brilliant and makes the vending fillers jobs far safer where they now don't carry cash.
Gravitas
North England
Gravitas is male  Gravitas has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2019, 02:19 PM

It surprises me how many people don't take cash when they go out for the day. Are they really able to pay for everything without cash? Say buying a bag of crisps or a paper from a tiny shop, getting a taxi etc.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2019, 02:23 PM

Not had a problem yet and with a debit card you can buy most small things now too, used to be a problem when it was a £5 lower limit.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2019, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Not had a problem yet and with a debit card you can buy most small things now too, used to be a problem when it was a £5 lower limit.

Don't some places put an extra charge on for small amounts though?
I have a feeling our 'corner shop' does.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2019, 04:22 PM

And what about my allotment shop, that deals in cash? With no internet would they have to close?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2019, 04:25 PM

Can you imagine trying to give the tradional 'Christmas Box' to the postie or bin man etc with a credit card?

We will always need a certain amount of cash IMO.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

08-03-2019, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Is that still legal ? our corner shop had to stop that a while ago, they started by banning small purchases on cards then realised they lost customers so now accept small amounts using the tap rather than swipe method.

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
And what about my allotment shop, that deals in cash? With no internet would they have to close?
No idea Jazzi we had to get a card reader for the charity it kick started us getting internet into the office. Best thing we ever did I'm told by our accountant who can now keep a close eye on expenses he was going mad before with lost receipts
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

08-03-2019, 04:31 PM

Can you imagine trying to give the tradional 'Christmas Box' to the postie or bin man etc with a credit card?

We will always need a certain amount of cash IMO.
Perhaps cheques will make a come back, I always thought they were good for tips like that.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2019, 04:32 PM

*Contactless* now isn't it! Don't think there's a minimum but there's a maximum of £30 (I think). As said above, people buy a packet of crisps .... and you see them waving their mobile phone at the device and it's paid for.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top