Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2019, 01:31 PM

Congratulations! Twiggy On Receiving Your DBE For Services To Fashion.

I am so pleased that one of my idols, the model Twiggy (Lesley Hornby) has received a Damehood for her services to fashion. She is at Buckingham Palace today to receive it.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...re_article-top

Twiggy inspired me and so many other teenagers in the 1960’s. We loved and copied the clothes she wore, her hairstyle, her make-up. Her ‘Twiggies’ the false lashes we stuck on our bottom eyelids.

I like how she has never really changed. She is natural and not pretentious like some famous people, today. In fact, she giggles at the fact she has become a Dame.

So l say, Congratulations, Twiggy. You are just great!
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2019, 01:59 PM

Re: Congratulations! Twiggy On Receiving Your DBE For Services To Fashion.

She deserves it more than that god-awful Barbara (call me Babs) Windsor famous only for having a whore's laugh and `acting` in dubious films and that terrible soap-opera AKA ****enders.

Nice one Twiggy.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2019, 02:01 PM

Congratulations, indeed, for the lovely, lovely, Lesley .....

A delightfully unassuming superstar .....

I liked her in the 60's but I fell in love with her in the '70's .....

In November 1976 Twiggy has made an appearance on The Muppet Show, in which she sang "In My Life", a Beatles song. In 1976, Twiggy signed to Mercury Records and released the albums "The Best of Twiggy" and "Please Get My Name Right", discs that contained both pop and country tunes. Twiggy sold very well, peaking on the UK charts at No. 33, and gave Twiggy a silver disc for good sales. The album contains Twiggy's top-twenty hit single, "Here I Go Again". "Please Get My Name Right" made it to No. 35 in 1977. A single "A Woman in Love" failed to chart for Twiggy in 1977, but was a hit for the Three Degrees in 1978.

A couple of pics from her 1977 album, "Please Get My Name Right":

And a video to go:

Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2019, 02:19 PM

Nice she got an award and I can see why it wasn't for her singing
Right Now
upstate New York US
Right Now is female  Right Now has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2019, 02:56 PM

Here in the states we watched for Twiggy in mags and on TV and loved her.
As a thin young girl myself, it gave me options of how to wear my clothes.

Congratulations, Twiggy. You've earned it.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2019, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Nice she got an award and I can see why it wasn't for her singing
Twiggy got 2 silver discs for her albums ..... her voice may have been only average but, in those days, there weren't the Vocal Effects Processors that all modern singers use.

Twiggy also won 2 Golden Globe Awards as best newcomer and best actress (musical/comedy) for her role in "The Boyfriend".

Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2019, 03:02 PM

Congratulations Twiggy!

She always seems a lovely lady, down to earth and no pompousness about her.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2019, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
Twiggy got 2 silver discs for her albums ..... her voice may have been only average but, in those days, there weren't the Vocal Effects Processors that all modern singers use.

Twiggy also won 2 Golden Globe Awards as best newcomer and best actress (musical/comedy) for her role in "The Boyfriend".

Maybe so but there were far better singers around at that time too, sadly often ignored for awards.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

14-03-2019, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Maybe so but there were far better singers around at that time too, sadly often ignored for awards.
Are you basing your opinion of Twiggy's singing solely on the video, which is a digital copy of (probably) a VHS, or even Betamax tape, neither of which are noted for sound quality?

Additionally, Twiggy was singing "live" in a TV studio, an area not noted for its acoustics.

Here's the album version:

I suspect that you will "diss" the lovely, lovely Lesley's voice anyway .....

I'm surprised that you didn't mention that she'd put on weight and looked 20 years older .....
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2019, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
Congratulations, indeed, for the lovely, lovely, Lesley .....

A delightfully unassuming superstar .....

I liked her in the 60's but I fell in love with her in the '70's .....

In November 1976 Twiggy has made an appearance on The Muppet Show, in which she sang "In My Life", a Beatles song. In 1976, Twiggy signed to Mercury Records and released the albums "The Best of Twiggy" and "Please Get My Name Right", discs that contained both pop and country tunes. Twiggy sold very well, peaking on the UK charts at No. 33, and gave Twiggy a silver disc for good sales. The album contains Twiggy's top-twenty hit single, "Here I Go Again". "Please Get My Name Right" made it to No. 35 in 1977. A single "A Woman in Love" failed to chart for Twiggy in 1977, but was a hit for the Three Degrees in 1978.

A couple of pics from her 1977 album, "Please Get My Name Right":

And a video to go:

I never knew that Twiggy sang. I'm going to give her a listen.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top