Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
big ben
United Kingdom
big ben is male  big ben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2019, 09:44 AM

Re: Cities

In all of my ninety one years I have never lived in a built up area. Deep country through and through, that,s me.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2019, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Funny you should say that, Spitty. I was noticing something similar recently myself about my home town.

The city of Kingston-upon-Hull (or simply "'Ull" if you're from most areas) is fundamentally divided into by the River Hull, east and west. Furthetlrmore, it's a city which prides itself on having two top flight Rugby League teams: Hull FC, who are based on the west side, and the red and white scum known as Hull Kingston Rovers (KR) who reside in East Hull. Both sides have a "friendly" rivalry and unlike football supporters they enjoy a healthy but insulting banter.

There are also many housing estates too and these vary from the poor and quite run down areas to some very smart houses.

I live in North Hull myself, towards Beverley and am classed as "neutral", apparently! Also, the dialect and accent varies enormously here too though I tend to distance myself from the more 'common-sounding' speech which is awful. Then again, I'm working class like everyone else.

Good thread mate
I.m a common sounding Yorkshire lass and can't help how I talk, it does sound awful I agree but I cant talk posh if I try.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2019, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
London's big, it's like a number of cities in one.

H&F/K&C is my stomping ground.

It's all yuppified now but felt different when I moved up from the West Country in the early 70s, got a job as a barman in a Kings Road pub. There were no-go areas, but I was brave and reckless.
We did it the other way, moved to Devon when the kids were small, never wanted to go back to the city, I dislike what London has become.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2019, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
I.m a common sounding Yorkshire lass and can't help how I talk, it does sound awful I agree but I cant talk posh if I try.
Don't get me wrong, Lion Queen. The broad Yorkshire accent is beautiful, it's just in Hull that it becomes the dullest in the county. I don't pretend to be something I'm not.
I made a conscious effort about thirty years ago to try to 'soften' my Hull accent during my time in the RAF. It was the first time I'd really been away from home and many of them spoke eloquently and with 'BBC voices', whereas I sounded flat and dull and people thought I was basically thick. The Hull accent is terrible and it's only when I'm with my mates out dtinking that I now revert back sometimes to this awful monotone drawl. I have pronounced my 'H's and 'D's since then.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2019, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
Towns and cities I stay well away from, far too 'enclosed' for me. I much prefer the openness of the countryside and rural villages.

After moving from an area where it was so busy, busy where people just didn't have time to pass the time of day, it's refreshing to live where people have time to speak and have a chat.

The odd time I do have to go into the nearest town it's for something specific, like the bank or a particular store unavailable at out of town retail parks, then I am there for as long as it takes and back out again as fast as possible.
Like you Baz, l much prefer the country having been brought up in the
smoke,as it was called then, l moved to Warwick which was a big improvement in my view, nice pubs, a bit of history etc, then emigrated and then lived in a coastal city, which was quite nice, and ended up living on a run down farm in coastal forest with mountains& gorges etc
This was the best time of my life, with nearest neighbours 5 Kms away
We lived there for 17 yes before returning to UK to live in Melton Mowbray in the Midlands where l find the people very helpful and friendly and the town a bit run down, but an improvement on London especially as the beer is much cheaper
To answer the question about one side of the city versus the other,
Yes ,there is a difference, which is affected by which side you were
born on
Best regards. Donkeyman.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2019, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by big ben ->
In all of my ninety one years I have never lived in a built up area. Deep country through and through, that,s me.
Hi XBen,. I agree entirely, far superior way of life. It probably accounts for your longevity.
Best. regards. Donkeyman.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2019, 06:03 PM

I'm very uncomfortable in Towns and the big City's just make me feel ill, too big, too dirty, too busy, too noisy. I am used to wide open spaces, clean air and often, not a soul in sight.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2019, 06:06 PM

Some people are not that fortunate to be wealthy enough to live in the country.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2019, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Some people are not that fortunate to be wealthy enough to live in the country.
I am not wealthy, my house is a semi & I can see farmland & woodland from my living room windows.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top