Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
issi
scotland
issi is female  issi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2019, 08:30 AM

wildlife

Has anyone noticed a decline in wildlife even in their own area? I used to have up to 10 or 11 squirrels visit my garden on a daily basis it's down to 2 now, I have asked other people who live nearby, they have said yes they too have noticed. Also the birds and insects, last year I think I could count the number of bees I saw on one hand, although wasps seem to be hanging around. Just putting that out as I would like to hear your opinion on this and perhaps other animals.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2019, 08:40 AM

Re: wildlife

I always have a couple of families of Blackbirds nesting in the garden. There is a Jenny Wren nesting in the coal bunker again, and there are Bumble Bees living in the garage along with a great variety of Spiders. I used to have a hedgehog wandering about - but haven't seen him/her for a year or so. Never had Squirrels because there are not many trees about for them. Occasionally see a Harvest mouse about the place - but there are also lots of cats about - so they don't linger.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2019, 08:45 AM

I blame the birds of prey they have reintroduced all over the country....all the little songbirds just about gone. All I see in the skies around me are Hawks and Red Kites hovering looking for their next meal.
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2019, 09:01 AM

I live in an overpopulated area of West London - luckily my house borders a graveyard and we have a huge park a couple of hundred yards away as well. I've never seen as much wildlife. We have foxes, squirrels (greys unfortunately), mice, rats, feral cats, rooks, crows, Jays, magpies, robins, wrens, woodpeckers, flocks of parakeets (bloody immigrants), swifts, swallows and housemartins come summer, pigeons and loads more.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2019, 09:17 AM

Yes we have much less Badgers and Squirrels now, still have plenty of Deers and Birds though.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2019, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by MickB ->
I live in an overpopulated area of West London - luckily my house borders a graveyard and we have a huge park a couple of hundred yards away as well. I've never seen as much wildlife. We have foxes, squirrels (greys unfortunately), mice, rats, feral cats, rooks, crows, Jays, magpies, robins, wrens, woodpeckers, flocks of parakeets (bloody immigrants), swifts, swallows and housemartins come summer, pigeons and loads more.
Mick I live in rural Wiltshire and there is a lot of wildlife but a lot of hawks and red kites too.
When I go to my sons who lives in a town but like you next to a big park with woods its true I see far more wildlife .
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2019, 10:12 AM

I live out in the fields not far from the woods and there is an abundance of wildlife here .

About 3 years ago a blackbird with a damage wing appeared in the garden I kept it fed all through last years bad weather and it is still with me.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2019, 10:37 AM

We had a big abandoned prison behind us for years and woods side and front of the complex so we had a lot of wildlife and really enjoyed living here. Then they tore down the prison and built housing and the people in the housing wanted access to the woods where they shoot and ride motor cycles, the hill at the front had to be dug apart to put in cables and water pipes and never recovered. We are lucky we still have 3 squirrels and a few magpies even the pigeons have left.
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2019, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->

About 3 years ago a blackbird with a damage wing appeared in the garden I kept it fed all through last years bad weather and it is still with me.
Funnily enough, although we have many varieties of birds here, we don't see blackbirds or starlings much at all.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2019, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by MickB ->
Funnily enough, although we have many varieties of birds here, we don't see blackbirds or starlings much at all.
Mick we get lots of both.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top