Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2019, 08:05 PM

Re: wildlife

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Not a very good picture this was a woodpecker at the front of the house yesterday...

And a picture from my bedroom window of two foxes 2 years ago .They have a set in the woodland on the right of the picure and I saw them with cubs last year

Lovely pics Meg.
You are so lucky to have all that greenery and nature surrounding you.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2019, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by issi ->
Meg, thank you for posting those photo's, looks like you live in paradise. What a lovely story about the blackbird, any chance you could send us a photo?
I will try to get a photograph Issi

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Lovely pics Meg.
Thanks Mups I never like this house but bought it for the beautiful location ...
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2019, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Lovely pics Meg.
Originally Posted by Meg ->
I will try to get a photograph Issi

Thanks Mups I never like this house but bought it for the beautiful location ...

I can understand that Meg.
At one time, I was going to buy a static home and site it in the middle of a field.
I couldn't get planning permission though.

I know there are quite a few badgers round here, as sadly, I often see one dead in the side of the road.

I get a nice variety of birds come to my garden, as I feed them daily.
My friend lives little over a mile away, and I can often smell foxes in her garden as she has a field behind her.

I haven't seen a live hedgehog for a very long time though, which is a great shame, as I really like those.

Before the huge Walnut tree in my neighbours garden was cut down last year, I had an abundance of squirrels visit, but they were an absolute menace.
I don't see half the number now, not in my garden or running along the fence anymore, but can't say I'm sorry, as they used to dig up all my tubs and plants every morning.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2019, 12:06 AM

Foxes, hedgehog, the usual common garden birds, squirrels, owls, red kites, occasionally gulls, woodpecker (heard not seen tho), frogs and newts, ducks.
But the one thing I'm really chuffed about... sparrows. It's gorgeous to hear them tweeting and occasionally the 'mass tweeting' they do sometimes around in hedges etc. So common I know, but they seemed to disappear and now they're returning.

The sound of them tweeting always reminds of being abroad too. They always seemed to tweet more abroad
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2019, 12:13 AM

If you see hundreds of crows them's rooks but if you see two rooks they's crows.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2019, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by Ray Cathode ->
If you see hundreds of crows them's rooks but if you see two rooks they's crows.
Is that really so, RC ?

A Murder of Crows.

A Parliament of Rooks.

An Unkindness of Ravens
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2019, 11:24 PM

Interesting, Issi! You have inspired me to keep a census.

I hadn't even considered this until now. The kids in my neighborhood know that my yard is a refuge for animals - no insects, worms, birds, or any other creatures are to be harassed, collected or killed - neither the neighborhood squirrels nor the tiniest ant. They pass the word and respect it. I get a kick out of watching them explain my refuge status to other kids.

We were almost ground zero for the BP Oil Spill a few years ago that wiped out all of our wildlife. All of it. Birds and dolphins washed up dead, many struggles ashore coated with oil, and others - like luna crabs - simply disappeared. It's been a slow recovery.

Over on the river, I think we have seen fewer dolphins and larger fish species, but I've have seen the surprising appearance of some unusual species like black skimmers and river otters, both of which had been in decline.

So, we are up some and down some. Nature is abundant here, but is always struggling.

I think I'll start keeping a diary of what I see.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top