Join for free
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 > Last »
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2019, 10:58 AM

Co codamol

I have been prescribed co codamol for pain relief .
It's an OTC medicine .
( I had never heard of it )
It has a huge list of side effects .
Two of which sickness and sleepiness have effected me almost immediately .
It's contains codeine which is a derivative of morphine .
It's says it's addictive ( I read the literature that comes in the packet)
I am surprised that such a potentially dangerous drug is OTC .
Is this due to NHS cutbacks ?
I know several drugs had been taken of the subscribed list .
Surely this is an easy option for drug addicts ?
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2019, 11:00 AM

Re: Co codamol

Over the counter?????
Maybe this is a reduced strength version?
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2019, 11:03 AM

Just checking the packet
It's 8mg/500mg per tablet .

Ie 8mg codeine /500 mg paracetamol.

Says can cause addiction for three days use only.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2019, 11:10 AM

Only last week I enquired of a pharmacist about co-codamol as I have been taking paracetamol as though they are Smarties for a painful back and hip. I hate taking tablets anyway so wanted something stronger than paracetamol that might save me taking so many tablets.

They are available over the counter, the advice I was given was that they are alright short-term but to ensure paracetamol was not taken at the same time.

As yet I haven't tried them as fortunately the pain is subsiding as each day passes.

Information, including that co-codamol is available over the counter, can be found on the link below:

https://www.nhs.uk/medicines/co-codamol-for-adults/
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2019, 11:19 AM

Mine are 30/100.
I only take half a tablet if absolutely necessary.
I have a bit of a phobia about medication because of my past job.
Try distracting yourself if in pain Muddy, you may find that it disappears into the background. You also have to keep moving or you get stiff and more painful.

I always read the bumf in the packet. If the common side effects are worse than the illness I don't take it.
I often tell the GP that I want to know what exactly is wrong and what the cause is rather than take pills. It seems to make them send me for scans etc. rather than Googling what it might be or just handing me a 'script.
I'm not saying don't take medicines if you really need them, just what I do.
I have steroids for a couple of reasons but only for short term treatment.

Co-codamol can actually cause pain if taken too long, which results in people taking more.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2019, 11:33 AM

Muddy I take over the counter Codamol for pain because I an not allowed to take Ibuprofen,it conflicts with my other medication in particular anticoagulants . I can also get it on prescription if need be.

I have been prescribed it in the past on condition that I do not take it for more than 3 consecutive days because it is addictive.

I reserve it emergencies and have learnt to control pain with relaxation and breathing techniques.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2019, 11:42 AM

These come in various disguises various strengths and various names. When I was first prescribed them, they didn't even have a brand name but were known as DF118. Now the most common one is Zapain.

As Tessa says it is 30 Mg Codeine & 500 Mg Paracetomol.

Yes they are addictive, yes they cause dowsiness, yes they cause digestive problems too. Even taking them for just short periods, you'll need to counteract the digestive problem by taking Sennacot tablets, or plums or Nectarines.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

20-03-2019, 11:50 AM

Oh my goodness thanks everyone for the info.
The ones I have seem pretty low dosage then and they are bad enough !
I will stick them out for the three days if I can !
DaveyJ
South Coast England
DaveyJ is male  DaveyJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2019, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I have been prescribed co codamol for pain relief .
It's an OTC medicine .
( I had never heard of it )
It has a huge list of side effects .
Two of which sickness and sleepiness have effected me almost immediately .
It's contains codeine which is a derivative of morphine .
It's says it's addictive ( I read the literature that comes in the packet)
I am surprised that such a potentially dangerous drug is OTC .
Is this due to NHS cutbacks ?
I know several drugs had been taken of the subscribed list .
Surely this is an easy option for drug addicts ?
So but a post of total rubbish as was the artical in yesterdays mail.
Co-Codomol contains just 8mg of codeine and 500mg of paracetamol. Hence 8 pills a day equals just 80mg and 4000mg respectively. Plus Co-codomal is not a prescription medication. Taken in larger amounts the small quantity of Codeine will harm you not, however, the paracetamol dose will kill you slowly over a few days.
Next up is Co-Dydromol 10mg of Codeine and 500mg of Paracetamol, that is on prescription only and still a very minor Codeine intake.
In short, you are not taking a 50mg Codeine tablet and how can junkies take enough of your tablet to obtain the benefit of Codeine without being killed long before by ingesting enough paracetamol to kill several horses.
The benefit, if any of your tablets is close to zero and the perceived effect on your mind seems very high, so chuck them in the bin.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2019, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
These come in various disguises various strengths and various names. When I was first prescribed them, they didn't even have a brand name but were known as DF118. Now the most common one is Zapain.

As Tessa says it is 30 Mg Codeine & 500 Mg Paracetomol.

Yes they are addictive, yes they cause dowsiness, yes they cause digestive problems too. Even taking them for just short periods, you'll need to counteract the digestive problem by taking Sennacot tablets, or plums or Nectarines.
What about the oxycodone I've been on for 6 months or so now. Is that adddictive? I know my weekly oxycodone liquid never lasts me a week so I suspect the answer is yes.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top