Join for free
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2018, 07:47 AM

Why we are fatter today

It's not lack of exercise it's a change in eating habits .
We eat food that is laden with sugar .

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...rweight-people
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2018, 07:59 AM

Re: Why we are fatter today

And ... lack of exercise I think, Muddy.

When I was a child I was always 'on the go' - never stood still anywhere long enough to grow fat. Today's children, in the main, cannot be parted from their Xboxes, Computers, TV sets, Tablets, and the ubiquitous 'smart' cell phones.

PS: Couldn't read the link with agreeing to their cookies.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2018, 08:06 AM

I always agree to cookies Tabs
I supose my device is bunged up with them .
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2018, 08:19 AM

My dad and I were only talking about this yesterday. How they put sugar in everything. The cheaper certain foods are the more sugar content there is.

People eat convenience and fast food these days and many people choose to sit on their bums.

Gone are the days when mum would cook a full Sunday roast dinner from scratch preferring to queue up in Macdonald's drive through. They look on that as treating the kids!
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2018, 08:26 AM

Its what goes in the food these days, whatever you buy just look at the label, you have all these E numbers, loads of Sugar, Salt and Animal Fat. Also especially children don't do exercises. When I was at School we had Drama and Exercise Class every day, also we did Country walks. But the good old days, I used to do a lot of Roller Skating which I don't think Kids do today, and I was always playing Rounders, today the Kids sit in their rooms stroking their phones or watching Videos or Play Stations.
Newcomer
Dorset
Newcomer is female  Newcomer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2018, 08:30 AM

It makes interesting reading. They didn't also mention though that plate sizes are much bigger now and this creates the feeling that if it isn't filled you are being short changed as it were. Add that to the fact that we are encouraged not too waste food and we tend to finish whatever is put in front of us.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2018, 08:54 AM

My little 13 year old grandaughter could be prone to being chubby in the past she occasionally gained chubbinesss and it did concern me , but in the last two years she is doing ballet and tap dancing and lots of activities , she has become tall and very shapely and slim . It is definately activity and healthy eating that's important .

I have sometimes seen very heavy parents with heavy chubby children and it's got to be the eating pattern hasn't it .
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2018, 09:23 AM

Hi

My two pretendies are 10 and 8, they spend a time on their tablets, they have pizza on Friday night and McDonalds once a fortnight.

Mum cooks from scratch the rest of the week, they do not eat chocolates or biscuits for snacks, they have fruit.

Mum insists on exercise for them, Jacob swims and cycles, Nadi is a gymnast and plays football.

They eat non stop but are both thin, skinny even.

A good mother and home cooking and regular exercise works wonders.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2018, 09:37 AM

I’ll echo the others and place the blame on food choices and lack of exercise.
Sugar and wheat are used as fillers in commercial foods and people are addicted to the Internet. Kids don’t walk places like we used to do or play the same types of activities we used to. Why wouldn’t we be fat?
I kind of feel sorry for kids these days. I think we lived in the best era of time.
Flowerpower
East Anglia, UK
Flowerpower is female  Flowerpower has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2018, 09:44 AM

I’m not sure what the answer is. My Dad came from a large, poor family and they were brought up on anything that was cheap and filling. Suet puddings, yorkshire puddings, fried bread, dripping, sugar sandwiches, condensed milk etc. he lived to 85 and most of his friends were brought up similarly in the 1920s and 30s and lived long lives.

All of that would now be considered very unhealthy but Dad never saw the inside of a hospital until he was 80.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top