Join for free
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2018, 11:32 PM

Re: Serena Williams

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
I admired Naomi Osaka when she was asked this morning how she felt about all the fuss. She smiled and replied that all she felt was tired!
I agree. With a celebrity player having a totally pathetic meltdown on national TV, Naomi showed a calm, cool & modest response.

If anything , the extremes in differences of performance and personality were tipped on her side and well deserved.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2018, 11:50 PM

the greatest day of Naomi Osaka career so far and it's stolen from her - aren't the rules 'never argue with the ref'?
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2018, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
the greatest day of Naomi Osaka career so far and it's stolen from her - aren't the rules 'never argue with the ref'?
Ah, so Williams is the "thief" .....
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2018, 12:14 AM

https://www.news.com.au/sport/tennis...8f43f1d7d4c7d2

MARTINA Navratilova, an 18-time Grand Slam singles champion, says Serena Williams was wrong in her outburst at the US Open women’s finals even though she agreed there is a double standard.

“We cannot measure ourselves by what we think we should also be able to get away with,” Navratilova wrote. “In fact, this is the sort of behaviour that no one should be engaging in on the court.”

“Serena Williams has part of it right. There is a huge double standard for women when it comes to how bad behaviour is punished — and not just in tennis,” Navratilova said.

“But in her protests … she also got part of it wrong. I don’t believe it’s a good idea to apply a standard of, “If men can get away with it, women should be able to, too.

“Rather, I think the question we have to ask ourselves is this: What is the right way to behave to honour our sport and to respect our opponents?”

Well said, Martina .....
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2018, 12:17 PM

An Australian cartoonist has come under fire for depicting Serena Williams as a spoilt brat spitting out her dummy and jumping up and down on her tennis racquet.

Some are trying to say it's a racist depiction of a black woman. I think it's what it is, a cartoon of someone who can't get their own way. What do you think?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-45479954
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2018, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
An Australian cartoonist has come under fire for depicting Serena Williams as a spoilt brat spitting out her dummy and jumping up and down on her tennis racquet.

Some are trying to say it's a racist depiction of a black woman. I think it's what it is, a cartoon of someone who can't get their own way. What do you think?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-45479954
I suppose it was only a matter of time before race came into it, after all what did she mean when she said she was fighting for womens rights and stuff? What is the stuff?

The cartoon shows a black tennis player showing off because she can't get her own way. The reason she looks African is because she looks African.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

11-09-2018, 12:30 PM

Here's the cartoon:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cartoon

A cartoon is a type of illustration, possibly animated, typically in a non-realistic or semi-realistic style. The specific meaning has evolved over time, but the modern usage usually refers to an image or series of images intended for satire, caricature, or humor.
Made me smile, so perhaps I'm racist, sexist, misogynist, etc. .....
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2018, 12:35 PM

I thought Naomi Asaka deserved to win...does that make me racist !
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

11-09-2018, 01:49 PM

In his day, John McEnroe inspired cartoonists, too:

Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2018, 01:54 PM

The cartoonist got it right .
It's not racist she's black so what?
Serena behaved like a prima dona
She's supposed to be a sportswoman .
Really these sportspeople she's a tennis player not a brain surgeon .
Get over yourself woman!

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top