Join for free
Page 2 of 18 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2018, 01:55 PM

Re: Enough of the doom and gloom.

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
The WTO rules AnnieS refers to are valid now, not in 5-10 years. So they form obstacles now for trade.
Yes but that wasn't what I was referring to it's the profficies they all make pretending they know what will happen.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2018, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Yes but that wasn't what I was referring to it's the profficies they all make pretending they know what will happen.
Isn't that exactly what OP is doing?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2018, 02:11 PM

You're right we cannot predict the future. The link which is the subject of the thread is a prophecy and is based on inflated tariff savings in a Cardiff uni study. It's pie in the sky.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2018, 02:30 PM

Why don't you use the information that is suplied to your MPs? It is objective, non-political, and gathered by experts. Www.parliament.uk
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2018, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
Why don't you use the information that is suplied to your MPs? It is objective, non-political, and gathered by experts. Www.parliament.uk
Some of us do.
Others prefer to believe the newspapers.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2018, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
Some of us do.
Others prefer to believe the newspapers.
The papers too have an obligation to inform their readers. For instance, your government is talking about an extension period. Difficult as it may be for your parliament to come to such a decision, nor May, nor her opponents, nor any of your papers, have picked up on the fact that after your parliament, 27 other parliaments have to agree to an extension. An extension seems to be a delusional assumption by May. Or she is distracting the homefront with such a discussion and in the mean time closing the real deal.
Why haven't the papers picked up on this?
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

24-10-2018, 06:49 PM

You didn't know there are 27 countries having a say on an extension?
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2018, 08:31 AM

I heard on the local news today that a local firm were making concrete plans in case of a no deal Brexit, I don't think they'll sell many!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2018, 10:28 AM

I take it to mean what they were talking about on the radio the other day, offer a tariff free deal to all and then see who charges us tariffs. It would look pretty bad on a country to refuse a tariff free deal IMO
I hadn't heard of that concept, but it appeals to me.

A very fair attitude, in my opinion, and presumably a very simple one.

I wonder, though, whether it could come unstuck if another country decided, for their own benefit of course, to accept only tariff free trade in some areas but not others.

It is essential that the agreement must benefit both participants equally, or 'no deal'.
itsme
Wigan UK
itsme is male  itsme has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2018, 10:50 AM

I take it to mean what they were talking about on the radio the other day, offer a tariff free deal to all and then see who charges us tariffs. It would look pretty bad on a country to refuse a tariff free deal IMO
Still not doing any research are you? if we fall out of the EU and go on to WTO rules we are required to impose tariffs.

The WTO prevents discriminatory tariffs, except between countries with trade deals. ... The WTO requires member countries to apply tariffs (taxes) on goods and services to other WTO countries equally. It also means you can't set different rules for foreign and domestic products in your country.13 Jul 2018

Page 2 of 18 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top