Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2018, 02:41 PM

Re: Windows 10 PC Networking

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
As for the files you want to share, you click on the desired file, or folder, and then the "Give Access to" and select Home Users in the people to share with area.

Then you will see all of the folders, you have set to be shared, also at the bottom of the File List.

The old technique, of just setting "Share with, Or Share" seems to have been dumped.

Whatever happened to simplifying stuff?
I got through the first part of the MS post, which changed nothing for me - my settings were the same

Then the post moved on to "Test", at which point, grammatically, the poster lost me .....

Nevertheless, since I already have a "shared" folder, actually my PC "D" drive, I checked my settings and they were the same.

However, when I came to set "share" for the underlying folders/files, a right-click produced a context menu, which then immediately disappeared .....

I tried for the "C" drive - same thing .....
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2018, 12:33 AM

You should be able to see all your computers on your network and Windows has shared folder without giving anybody access to your User files. I think it is called "Public" in the latest incarnation of Windows and can be seen from your network. Other computers can place files or get files from there but don't have access to the rest of your computer.

The only thing you have to do is make sure that your computer is visible on the network by turning on "Network discovery"

One thing which people sometimes neglect is to give their computer a unique name because that makes it easier to find and address.

EG on my network it would be \\LENOVO-PC\...

This also makes it easier to test if you are on the right computer for example.

if %computername%==LENOVO-PC set "BatchName=LenovoPC.bat"

if %computername%==FLEX-NETBOOK set "BatchName=Netbook.bat"

I also find it useful to 'map' areas of my servers etc into my main computer so they have a drive number. This enables programs which normally don't work over a network access them as if they were part of the main computer, it also makes using batch files easier.

You will notice that my main server (BCLWDEX4) has three 'mapped' areas on the same machine. You can do this with any computer on your network (in Windows Explorer)

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ashampoo_Snap_2018.10.24_10h22m13s_002_.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	7716   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ashampoo_Snap_2018.10.24_10h23m21s_003_.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	7717   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ashampoo_Snap_2018.10.24_10h27m09s_004_Tree View.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	19.1 KB
ID:	7718  
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2018, 02:07 PM

Well, I seem to have "solved" the problem .....

IIRC, I used to access files/folders across the network through drive-mapping but the solution seems to have been arrived at by folder-mapping, i.e. coming at the requirement from a different direction .....

But ..... I still had to reboot the two PCs a couple of times before they saw each other .....
Sharon123
New Member!
USA
Sharon123 is female 

25-10-2018, 02:12 PM

Norton Antivirus Software is completely user-friendly. The world is not perfect sometime user to report the error in the Norton antivirus. We do fix most frequent Norton Antivirus error. Norton Antivirus Support Phone Number
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2018, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->

But ..... I still had to reboot the two PCs a couple of times before they saw each other .....
You might have just been a bit too quick to try to look for them. I have found Windows Explorer only finds what is there at the time you start looking it doesn't seem to update itself later (that might not be the right description but that is the practical outcome).

It updates itself pretty rapidly if you rename a file in a folder you are looking at via another program like Bulk Rename Utility but for networks it seems to play dead once it has done an initial look and it might take a while for all the IPs on on the network to introduce themselves to each other. From my observation even pressing F5 on 'Network' doesn't always work as you'd expect.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

26-10-2018, 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
You might have just been a bit too quick to try to look for them. I have found Windows Explorer only finds what is there at the time you start looking it doesn't seem to update itself later (that might not be the right description but that is the practical outcome).

It updates itself pretty rapidly if you rename a file in a folder you are looking at via another program like Bulk Rename Utility but for networks it seems to play dead once it has done an initial look and it might take a while for all the IPs on on the network to introduce themselves to each other. From my observation even pressing F5 on 'Network' doesn't always work as you'd expect.
In that case, now that the connections seem to be set, I'll allow "waiting time".....
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

26-10-2018, 02:27 PM

I tried "waiting time" but still had to re-boot to establish full connectivity:

0930 Switched on Desktop - Laptop folder only found but offline (correct)

1030 Switched on Laptop - Desktop PC not found

1130 Desktop PC - Laptop folder online - copied files from Desktop

1230 Laptop received files OK - Desktop PC still not found, although Desktop printer, Chromecast connection and router had been - re-booted Laptop

1330 - Rebooted Desktop - verified Laptop PC and folder found

1345 - Rebooted Laptop - Desktop PC now found

1400 - All connections now visible
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2018, 04:30 PM

Omah!

Can you confirm whether those services, which we had to turn to automatic, are still showing as automatic?
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

26-10-2018, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
Omah!

Can you confirm whether those services, which we had to turn to automatic, are still showing as automatic?
Yes, the services are Automatic (Delayed) and Running.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

27-10-2018, 10:55 AM

Today:

0930 Switched on Desktop - Laptop folder only found but offline (correct)

1030 Switched on Laptop - All connections visible

..... and I changed nothing .....

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top