Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2018, 01:41 AM

Which Camera?

My recent holiday highlighted the fact that I don't have a second camera worth a pinch of p!ss.

So I have been having a look at some contenders, I only want a compact - my days of lugging bulky cameras around are over. My Canon G16 is being repaired (electronic fault) photos are still OK but they don't make that range any more though as a camera I am very happy with it but it is fairly old.

Top of my list is Canon PowerShot G5 X (I like Canon)

The downside of this camera is the 4 times zoom, short battery life and lack of 4K video

The rest of Canon's offerings are either too clumsy or lack a viewfinder.

I have been looking at some Nikons:

Nikon Coolpix P900

Good zoom but too bulky perhaps?

Nikon Coolpix B700

4K video, good zoom but again too bulky.

Nikon Coolpix W300

Waterproof, only 5x zoom but cheap. I am worried this might just produce the same poor quality pictures as my very old but rugged Olympus.

I am quite taken with the W300 - being waterproof and small seems a good idea and you can't complain about the price (which might be a worry). The Canon is still top of my list because the Nikon compacts either aren't compact or seem too cheap.

Are you familiar with any of these?

Interested in recommendations and opinions. Other brands perhaps?
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2018, 02:21 AM

Re: Which Camera?

I would also add the Panasonic Lumix TZ110

I am not familiar with Panasonic cameras but they do have Leica lenses and this one does appear to have a viewfinder and a 10 x zoom. This might be second on my list of possibles and perhaps could be elevated to first as it is cheaper than the Canon but has 4K video and a longer zoom.

Panasonic Lumix LX10.

No viewfinder but tilting touch screen, only 3x zoom but a very respectable camera in all other regards and similar quality to the Sony RX100 which is $600 more

BTW The more I look at the Nikons the less I like them.

Anyone familiar with Panasonic cameras?
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2018, 08:44 AM

Hi Bruce

I have a Panny, ten years old, one of the early TZs. I've just charged the battery and, although it's not "waterproof", I intend using it in the rain rather than having it lying around doing nothing. I do believe Panasonic offer the best value for money in high-end photo equipment today.

I also have two Nikon DSLRs and a Canon G7X (my street camera).

I'm sending you a PM about a wonderfully helpful site regarding this ....

realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2018, 09:08 AM

BRUCE

I always say when asked this question is how much do you want to spend?
best work around that and start looking, you will always see something a bit better but more expensive.

Next what do you intend to take photos of, If for portrait for example you don't need a long zoom camera.

Next is does the camera have the features you want and are they easy to find in the camera menu.
Next is to pick out say 3 and see if your happy with holding them in the hand, strange but some cameras may not suit.

You say you want a compact type of camera but consider the latest mirrorless ones as well

I still have an old Nikon L26 compact camera which takes good photos and videos, also from wide angle to zoom

just taken this shoot with it in semi darkness(good for testing in semi darkness). You can see the flash reflected on the widow at the back

with this Nikon L26 compact camera (does video as well)

pick one up for about £30

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Nikon-COOLP...5926546&chn=ps
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2018, 09:26 AM

small-ish, long reach, viewfinder, 4K video, something not in the Leica or even the Sony price range.

Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

24-10-2018, 10:34 AM

Price is anything up to about $1000 (500 pounds)

I have been also looking at the Sony RX100 III and IV but they don't seem good value for money compared to the Panasonic LX10 which is my pick at the moment.

Canon tend to lag behind their rivals in features and the only model that appeals is the G5X but it lacks features the Panasonic has in spades and the Panasonics are actually cheaper. (Approx $790ish compared to $920)

My thinking at the moment is between the LZ10 and the TZ110 (each about the same price) - the LZ10 is slightly ahead because the 1.4 lens is so much better than the 2.8 of the better zooming TZ110 which also has a view finder.

I can still be convinced to change my mind
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK

24-10-2018, 11:03 AM

.... decided against sending you off to another site.

You seem to know what you want, you've done the research, you know the spec.

I'd just say ... don't get too drawn in by the low f/. numbers. It's not like comparing DSLR lens where a f/1.4 can be 2 or 3 times the price of a f/1.8 and the 1.4 often proves to be too shallow to use successfully, portraits with eyes in focus but ears all blurry.

There's technique require to get a shallow depth of field which involves a longish focal length ... as you zoom in your aperture will automatically decrease (f/ # increase)

Off to google the LX10 and the TZ110
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2018, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I would also add the Panasonic Lumix TZ110

I am not familiar with Panasonic cameras but they do have Leica lenses and this one does appear to have a viewfinder and a 10 x zoom. This might be second on my list of possibles and perhaps could be elevated to first as it is cheaper than the Canon but has 4K video and a longer zoom.

Panasonic Lumix LX10.

No viewfinder but tilting touch screen, only 3x zoom but a very respectable camera in all other regards and similar quality to the Sony RX100 which is $600 more

BTW The more I look at the Nikons the less I like them.

Panasonic are my choice. I have the Lumix DMC TZ60. All my photo's are taken with it, it's portable, fits in my pocket, is virtually idiot proof, I love it. I have had this one for some years now & there are upgraded versions.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

24-10-2018, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
.... decided against sending you off to another site.

You seem to know what you want, you've done the research, you know the spec.

I'd just say ... don't get too drawn in by the low f/. numbers. It's not like comparing DSLR lens where a f/1.4 can be 2 or 3 times the price of a f/1.8 and the 1.4 often proves to be too shallow to use successfully, portraits with eyes in focus but ears all blurry.

There's technique require to get a shallow depth of field which involves a longish focal length ... as you zoom in your aperture will automatically decrease (f/ # increase)

Off to google the LZ10 and the TZ110
I am not too fussed about depth of field the aperture is for low light, I try to avoid using flash.

Actually the LZ10 has the ability to set the aperture with a ring round the lens (rather like cameras used to be).

I also prefer a wide angle lens as I have always been a proponent of getting in close for the more dramatic shot. In the days of 35mm SLRs I always kept a 24mm lens on my camera so I was forced to get in close. I was not a fan of sneaky shots taken from a distance with a telephoto lens (a telephoto lens doesn't change perspective). Though these days I just take snaps.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK

24-10-2018, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I am not too fussed about depth of field the aperture is for low light, I try to avoid using flash.

Actually the LZ10 has the ability to set the aperture with a ring round the lens (rather like cameras used to be).

I also prefer a wide angle lens as I have always been a proponent of getting in close for the more dramatic shot. In the days of 35mm SLRs I always kept a 24mm lens on my camera so I was forced to get in close. I was not a fan of sneaky shots taken from a distance with a telephoto lens (a telephoto lens doesn't change perspective). Though these days I just take snaps.
It's the LX10 And the TZ100 is known as the ZS100 in the USA.

Have you looked at any of the comparison websites?

https://cameradecision.com/compare/P...Lumix-DMC-LX10 is good.

I see that the LX10 has really poor reach 72mm equiv. No mention of ISO performance (probably equal), if you want to use in low light your ISO will shoot up if set to auto.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top