Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2018, 01:12 AM

Re: Which Camera?

Originally Posted by d00d ->
It's the LX10 And the TZ100 is known as the ZS100 in the USA.

Have you looked at any of the comparison websites?

https://cameradecision.com/compare/P...Lumix-DMC-LX10 is good.

I see that the LX10 has really poor reach 72mm equiv. No mention of ISO performance (probably equal), if you want to use in low light your ISO will shoot up if set to auto.
Yes I think I called it LX10 originally but I just muddled it up with the TZ prefix.

I am not that fussed about the zoom as I rarely need it - I am always concerned about perspective and its effect on the shot so I can live with 3x (my G16 only has 5x zoom) I am more concerned about the lack of the viewfinder. The problem with a telephoto lens is that if you are a long way away no matter how much you fill the frame by zooming in the shot still looks like you are a long way away and lacks that immediacy of being close (just my opinion).

I have done some comparisons this was one that I found quite useful; it compares both cameras with the Sony:

I am torn between the two cameras - the price being the same - but leaning slightly toward the LX10. As it is going to be a second camera (assuming my G16 comes back working well) after some reflection I am not so keen on the Canon G5X purely on price though it is still under consideration. If the worst comes to the worse I could always buy both
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2018, 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
Panasonic are my choice. I have the Lumix DMC TZ60. All my photo's are taken with it, it's portable, fits in my pocket, is virtually idiot proof, I love it. I have had this one for some years now & there are upgraded versions.
Thanks for that, I am completely unfamiliar with Panasonic cameras so everything helps. The LX10/TZ110 seem very compact yet good quality something very much in their favour.
toners
Cheshire
toners is male  toners has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2018, 10:50 AM

Hi Bruce et al
My pocket compact recently gave up so looked around and finished up with
a Canon Powershot SX620 HS. Nothing too fancy but something to carry in my pocket it is pretty lightweight. 20.2 Mp, shoots HD video if you want that.
Boasts a x25 optical zoom but it can boot up to x50 electronically- which was quite a surprise- seems to be the equivalent of a 600mm. It handles macros quite well.
It is very much a point and shoot and autofocus which is a bit annoying at higher zooms as it can't decide on the principal focus.
A handy thing if I don't want to carry around full kit but hate to miss an opportune shot or I have a long lens and don't want to swop lenses in the field.

A reasonable price around £130

The photos are of a local mountain and the Canon full zoom to the summit.

d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2018, 11:07 AM

I like the LX10 ... no viewfinder but has tilt up screen ... good for shooting from the hip and can have the angle tweaked to help avoid glare.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2018, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Thanks for that, I am completely unfamiliar with Panasonic cameras so everything helps. The LX10/TZ110 seem very compact yet good quality something very much in their favour.
What I most like about the TZ60, is the 30 digital zoom, it takes brilliant sunset/sunrise photo's. The newer model TZ70 also has this.
Full zoom....

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040866.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	7732  
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2018, 11:14 AM

I have the Canon G7X

and here is a comparison with the LX10

https://cameradecision.com/compare/P...t-G7-X-Mark-II
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK

25-10-2018, 11:18 AM

What I most like about the TZ60, is the 30 digital zoom, it takes brilliant sunset/sunrise photo's. The newer model TZ70 also has this.
Full zoom....
digital zoom ... is of course not the real thing and that effect can be achieved by cropping on your computer afterwards.

Still a nice camera tho Tiff.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

25-10-2018, 11:29 AM

I have the Canon G7X

and here is a comparison with the LX10

https://cameradecision.com/compare/P...t-G7-X-Mark-II
My son has a G7X so I am familiar with it, I have ruled that one out, if I get a Canon it will be the G5X which is the nearest I can find to my G16 (if the latter can't be repaired).
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

25-10-2018, 11:33 AM

Full zoom....
Panasonics don't seem bad for the price my G16 has digital zoom but I have it turned off. Apart from anything else I rarely need it. Panasonic seem to offer incredible value for money compared to brands like Sony.

I do like the 4K video because it opens up a whole new field of still photos too.

Canon is very lax when it comes to innovation, in fact, the reason I changed from a G10 to a G16 was that the latter finally had HD video, the G10 was still using VGA. The current crop of Canons only boast HD whereas Sony, Nikon and Panasonic offer 4K and the advantages that brings.

I am hoping that by waiting the next incarnation of the Canon G5 has 4K when I will be happy to buy it.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2018, 11:59 AM

digital zoom ... is of course not the real thing and that effect can be achieved by cropping on your computer afterwards.

Still a nice camera tho Tiff.
I found that cropping just blurred the photo's & didn't give the right effect. I love my zoom. I don't have the right app to tweak or fiddle with photo's & don't really want one either. What I take is what you see. I am not technologically minded.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top