Join for free
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2018, 12:33 AM

Re: Black page in EU history

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
I am a bit hesitant to bring it up. England was of course involved in many an european war, due to the family ties between monarchs.
Really! Personally I think anything before 1900 should probably be discounted.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2018, 12:34 AM

I can't agree with too much of that, due to the fact UK has had plenty of participation in many wars since we joined the Common Market, as have many other EU countries. Quite often through the decision making of the EU.
So the wars haven't stopped , and we haven't kept out of them, they've been all over the world.

Maybe we should introduce compulsory national service again.

Poverty, depending on areas in the UK, but also in other countries would appear to be a lot worse than it was.
When did we have food banks prior to the 2000's ? When did we have so many homeless as we have now ? When did we have so many rough sleepers as we have now ?

Everything is according to location, high property prices or high rents, but we also have to look at the energy prices and all the other utilities , mainly owned by foreign companies . We have been ripped off , the same way as many populations of many EU countries have, whilst the unelected in the EU make decisions and seal deals that keep us in chattels. Every year another step forward toward the greater plan .
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2018, 02:35 AM

Originally Posted by Puddle Duck ->
I can't agree with too much of that, due to the fact UK has had plenty of participation in many wars since we joined the Common Market, as have many other EU countries. Quite often through the decision making of the EU.
Has someone ever explained to you the difference between EU and NATO?
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2018, 02:39 AM

Has someone ever explained to you the difference between EU and NATO?
Yes, why ?
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2018, 02:40 AM

Originally Posted by Ray Cathode ->
Really! Personally I think anything before 1900 should probably be discounted.
If the scots had done that you wouldn't have the regional parliament in scotland.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

29-10-2018, 02:44 AM

Yes, why ?
Then name one war, not being a trade war, that was started by a decision of the EEC or EU
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2018, 08:26 AM

So the wars haven't stopped , and we haven't kept out of them, they've been all over the world.

I thought we were talking about war in Europe. Among the countries that were always at war before the EU.

Poverty, depending on areas in the UK, but also in other countries would appear to be a lot worse than it was.
When did we have food banks prior to the 2000's ? When did we have so many homeless as we have now ? When did we have so many rough sleepers as we have now ?

Everything is according to location, high property prices or high rents, but we also have to look at the energy prices and all the other utilities , mainly owned by foreign companies . We have been ripped off , the same way as many populations of many EU countries have, whilst the unelected in the EU make decisions and seal deals that keep us in chattels. Every year another step forward toward the greater plan .
I don't understand what deprivation in the UK has to do with the EU. It has always existed but post war and beyond we had a very generous welfare state which became unaffordable. I remember a time when everything we take for granted now was very expensive and beyond the reach of ordinary people. You had to save up for new clothes, or a tv. We now have cheap goods but far less welfare. It's nothing to do with the EU and everything to do with capitalism expanding to economies that were previously undeveloped. They are far more affluent now as a result.

Large organisations answer to shareholders and have to make a profit to survive. If their shares drop they are vulnerable to takeover. The foreign organisations you describe are global.

Looking at fuel, British energy was acquired and then sold to EDF by the British government.

You can blame Thatcher for the housing market situation. There will be more homeless because of the changes in the structure of welfare. While rents have gone up, social housing and housing benefit have gone down. I'm not sure what this has to do with the EU. It's a usual Tory policy which has been spurred on by the Financial crisis of 2008.
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2018, 08:28 AM

Then name one war, not being a trade war, that was started by a decision of the EEC or EU

The war in Ukraine.

Name one war that England has ever started say, post 1707 ad .

( Let's not go back in to Iron Age history here so wars between England and Scotland or Reiver Wars do not count)
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2018, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by Moscow ->
The war in Ukraine.

Name one war that England has ever started say, post 1800.

( Let's not go back in to Iron Age history here so wars between England and Scotland or Reiver Wars do not count)
The EU did not declare war on Ukraine. We have had this conversation. You insist on seeing it one way.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK

29-10-2018, 08:58 AM

I can't agree with too much of that, due to the fact UK has had plenty of participation in many wars since we joined the Common Market, as have many other EU countries. Quite often through the decision making of the EU. So the wars haven't stopped , and we haven't kept out of them, they've been all over the world.

First off, I didn't say we started the wars.... did I ? The word used, which makes all the difference was 'participation' . Secondly with regard to the same point, since 1975 we have been involved in wars, Falklands, Lebanon , Gulf, Bosnia (which was NATO) Operation Desert Fox in Iraq, Sierra Leone Civil war, Afghanistan, Iraq war of 2003, Libya civil war (NATO), Operation Shader which is ongoing. 3000 ISIS fighters killed in 1700 UK air strikes. Of course EU member states discuss war, and operations. How else would they be achieved when they take part. UK, France, Germany, all in diplomatic talks at the moment with Putin about the next move and the 'ifs and buts' ?

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top