Join for free
Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2018, 02:18 PM

Re: The Budget.

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
i don't consider myself a little englander uj but I object to it going to countries that have a large rich population who could help their own poor, while our poor suffer. I object to nuclear states getting help and countries waging war on others. I want any aid to go to truely natural disasters and to help refugees from wars etc.

I accept that 'Foreign Aid' per se needs revision, but that doesn't mean, as is implied by others on here its total elimination.
weedeek
Dumfries, Scotland
weedeek is male  weedeek has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2018, 02:22 PM

To get back to the budget, the Scottish Government is not minded to pass on the tax cut to high earners up here.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2018, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by weedeek ->
To get back to the budget, the Scottish Government is not minded to pass on the tax cut to high earners up here.

Good!!! - Well done Nicola.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2018, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by julie1962 ->
i don't consider myself a little englander uj but i object to it going to countries that have a large rich population who could help their own poor, while our poor suffer. I object to nuclear states getting help and countries waging war on others. I want any aid to go to truely natural disasters and to help refugees from wars etc.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2018, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Not yet, it has some way to go, but at least its on the right road to get there.
Don't you mean the WRONG road ?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2018, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Don't you mean the WRONG road ?
I'm surprised that someone who relies on handouts and healthcare can suggest that we continue to send enormous amounts of our money to third world countries whilst hospitals here are struggling and pensioners are obliged to choose whether to eat or heat!
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2018, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
What about stopping foreign Aid? Or have we had that conversation too?
My worry, about Foreign aid, is that it might be as much about keeping a Foreign Country onside, as it is about Helping the needy.

I read a recent article about how we are competing with Countries, like China, in paying to get the amount of influence we want. That article was about Africa.

It's possible that some Countries are happily playing off one donor against others with not so much of the aid getting to where it should be going.

Perhaps I'm wrong, I hope so!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

06-11-2018, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
My worry, about Foreign aid, is that it might be as much about keeping a Foreign Country onside, as it is about Helping the needy.

I read a recent article about how we are competing with Countries, like China, in paying to get the amount of influence we want. That article was about Africa.

It's possible that some Countries are happily playing off one donor against others with not so much of the aid getting to where it should be going.

Perhaps I'm wrong, I hope so!
I'm pretty sure you are not wrong.

The average politician, I'm sure, couldn't care less about little brown babies in Africa! Their sole interest is in themselves and, perhaps, keeping other countries on-side.

It is true that after Brexit we shall need trading partners although, as I understand it, the interest is already there amongst many countries throughout the world.

If this is the case, I think we should be very careful about who we send our money to, and this should be balanced against our own needs such as healthcare, police, transport infrastructure, etc.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2018, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by tedc ->
my worry, about foreign aid, is that it might be as much about keeping a foreign country onside, as it is about helping the needy.

I read a recent article about how we are competing with countries, like china, in paying to get the amount of influence we want. That article was about africa.

It's possible that some countries are happily playing off one donor against others with not so much of the aid getting to where it should be going.

Perhaps i'm wrong, i hope so!
Originally Posted by jbr ->
i'm pretty sure you are not wrong.

The average politician, i'm sure, couldn't care less about little brown babies in africa! Their sole interest is in themselves and, perhaps, keeping other countries on-side.

It is true that after brexit we shall need trading partners although, as i understand it, the interest is already there amongst many countries throughout the world.

If this is the case, i think we should be very careful about who we send our money to, and this should be balanced against our own needs such as healthcare, police, transport infrastructure, etc.

Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top