Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2018, 01:08 PM

US Mid-Term Elections

Anyone been taking notice of the results of these elections? It looks like Trump could be getting his wings clipped at last. It seems that the new Democrat majority in the House of Representatives could launch an investigation into his tax affairs and even call for his impeachment as well as curb some of his excesses.

Any of our US members care to comment on what the atmosphere is like over there now?
MrFraggle
United Kingdom
MrFraggle is male  MrFraggle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2018, 02:33 PM

Re: US Mid-Term Elections

I found/find it an absolute disgrace the amount of airtime given in the UK for the US mid term elections, did the rest of the world stop?
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2018, 03:00 PM

This 29 year old Women has just been elected to New York 14th district. The youngest ever elected to Congress.

UJ will love her.

But she is one along with Watters dragging the Dems to the far left and even more left than Corbyn.

https://www.cnbc.com/video/2018/11/0...-election.html
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2018, 03:19 PM

I hope the Democrats can prevent the lunatic in the White House from carrying out his legislation.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2018, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by MrFraggle ->
I found/find it an absolute disgrace the amount of airtime given in the UK for the US mid term elections, did the rest of the world stop?
I think the amount of airtime given here simply reflects how hugely concerned everyone is.
The results are vitally important whereas most times they're not.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2018, 03:35 PM

GOP still control the Senate.....so nothing to worry about.

I do think its the most stupid political system in the World.

BUT I copy this off an American site I am on.

Off the top of my head, I was glad Joe Manchin held his seat in West Virginia, and will be sorry if Jon Tester loses his seat in Montana. Both are moderates. We need more of those on both sides I think. Thankful that we won't have to listen to Rand Paul pretend to try to make up his mind on every vote in the Senate now.
MrFraggle
United Kingdom
MrFraggle is male  MrFraggle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2018, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
I think the amount of airtime given here simply reflects how hugely concerned everyone is.
The results are vitally important whereas most times they're not.
I do not think that the US mid term elections will have any effect on the UK and certainly did not warrant over 12 hours continuous coverage from BBC News. The rest of the world did not cease to exist, the US is not the center of the universe.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2018, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by MrFraggle ->
I do not think that the US mid term elections will have any effect on the UK and certainly did not warrant over 12 hours continuous coverage from BBC News. The rest of the world did not cease to exist, the US is not the center of the universe.
I agree Mr Fraggle. Top item on the news all day.
Right Now
upstate New York US
Right Now is female  Right Now has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2018, 04:06 PM

From an American and a New Yorker here...
I worked yesterday 16 hours straight as a Poll Voting Inspector in my town, so I viewed first hand the number of new faces showing up to cast a vote. I must include more women than I have seen in a while came to voice their choice.

We have made a first move to regain some semblance of balance in our political system according to the results this morning, but still have a long way to go to get back logic, humanity, compassion and plain common sense, not to mention respect in our country.

I agree that the news media has inundated us with more reporting of this election than we ever wish to see again, and apologize that the rest of the world suffered through it.

We in the states can't escape it by turning off the TV. So, you are already one up on us.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2018, 04:56 PM

I have an American best friend, so I am interested in what happens in the USA.
As you say Right Now, we can switch channels & don't have to watch any of it, if we don't want to. No need to apologize to us as we do have a switch off ability and it isn't your fault any way.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top